Spartanburg, S.C. – Freshman Natalie Perez tallied a season-best 12 kills and a team-wide season-high .500 hitting percentage to lead the University of Mount Olive women's volleyball team to a sweep of Converse College in Conference Carolinas action Friday evening.
Score: Mount Olive 3, Converse 0 (25-23), (25-19), (25-17)
Records: Mount Olive 8-7 (3-3); Converse 1-12 (0-6)
Location: Sally Abney Rose Complex
How It Happened
- After falling behind 10-4, UMO roared back with a 10-2 run to take the lead and force a Converse timeout.
- The Trojans never relented after taking the lead, only allowing the Valkyries to tie the game twice just past the midpoint.
- UMO hit just .089 with nine errors in the set but held on late for the 25-23 victory.
- Despite close play early on, UMO pulled away with an 11-5 run to take a 21-13 lead.
- Junior Mi'Kayla Benson recorded the Trojans' last three points of the set to power UMO to the 25-19 win.
- The Trojans continued to hurt themselves with errors, committing 10 in the set, while hitting just .068, but were aided by Converse's -.091 hitting percentage.
- UMO took control of the set, running out to a 19-7 lead.
- Converse pushed back with an 8-1 run to cut the Trojans' advantage to 20-15.
- In the final points, the Mount Olive pulled away using a 5-2 run to end the match.
- The final set was UMO's best offensively, as the Trojans hit .229 in the final frame.
- Perez compiled a season-high 12 kills and a .500 hitting percentage to lead UMO.
- Benson and fellow junior Karley Pounds each tallied eight kills.
- Freshman Kamber Skeen led the way for the Trojans with 27 assists and 18 digs.
The Trojans return to action tomorrow with a road battle with Limestone College at 11 a.m. in Gaffney, S.C.