Mount Olive, N.C. --- The University of Mount Olive took the final two games of the series from Emmanuel College to sweep the series at Scarborough Field in Conference Carolinas baseball on Saturday afternoon.
Game 1: Mount Olive 3, Emmanuel 0
Game 2: Mount Olive 16, Emmanuel 2
Mount Olive (10-4, 3-0 CC)
Florida Southern (6-9, 1-5 CC)
Location: Scarborough Field, Mount Olive, N.C.
- Mount Olive had to wait until the bottom of the third to break into the scorebook. Ricky Surum singled into left to plate Jose Lopez, who reach via a fielder's choice earlier in the inning, for the first run of the game.
- The Trojans extended their lead in the bottom of the sixth as Surum dropped down a bunt and beat out the throw to give UMO a baserunner to lead off the inning.
- David Mayo drove in another run after Surum advanced to third on failed pickoff attempt. Mayo singled down the left field line and Surum walked home.
- Jack Sherrill came into pinch hit and scored the final run of the game with an RBI-single to right and ended the eighth up 3-0.
- UMO closed the door in the top of the seventh to take game one.
KEY STATS GAME 1
- Austin Hutchison (3-0) took the win on the mound as he went the distance shutting out the Lions, allowing five hits and struck out six.
- Surum, was the sole Trojan with a multi-hit game as he went 2-for-3 with a RBI.
- Mount Olive continued to swing the hot bat in game two as the Trojans belted two home runs.
- Gunner Tolston picked up Surum getting hit by a pitch and Mayo reaching on a walk to clear the bases as UMO went up 3-0.
- Zach Mozingo followed suit with a solo shot four pitches in, to increase the lead in the first.
- Emmanuel answered in the top of the second and fourth with solo home runs of their own to cut the Mount Olive lead to 4-2.
- The Trojans added another run in the bottom of the fifth after Sweeting was hit by a pitch. He then stole second and advanced to third after the throw hit Sweeting again as he slid into second and rolled into left center. Surum singled into right center and Sweeting scored to give UMO a 5-2 lead.
- UMO exploded for seven runs in the bottom of the sixth to jump out to a 12-2 lead and added pairs of runs in the seventh and eighth to finish the game with a 16-2 victory.
KEY STATS GAME 2
- Surum continued to lead UMO in game two as he went 3-for-4 with three RBI.
- Ethan Horne (1-1) picked up the win in relief for Mount Olive as he went two and two-thirds allowing a single hit and picked up one strikeout.
Mount Olive will remain at home as the Trojans will host Lake Erie for a single game Monday at 3 p.m. from Scarborough Field.