Mount Olive, N.C. --- The 14th-ranked University of Mount Olive took the final two games of the series from Barton College to sweep the series at Scarborough Field in Conference Carolinas baseball on Saturday afternoon.
Game 1: Mount Olive 3, Barton 0
Game 2: Mount Olive 9, Barton 2
Mount Olive (15-4, 3-0 CC)
Barton (14-7, 1-5 CC)
Location: Scarborough Field, Mount Olive, N.C.
- Mount Olive took over game one from the start as David Mayo doubled home the first run of the game in Ricky Surum, who doubled himself, and UMO took an early 1-0 lead after the first inning.
- The Trojans capitalized on a failed Barton pickoff attempt in the bottom of the second as Jose Lopez scored on a throwing error by the Bulldog pitcher.
- Mount Olive added one more insurance run in the bottom of the fifth as it proved to be all starter Austin Hutchison needed as the Trojans took game one 3-0
KEY STATS GAME 1
- Austin Hutchison (5-0) took the win on the mound as he went the distance shutting out the Bulldogs, allowing six hits, striking out nine, and surrendering three walks through his seven innings.
- Mayo led the Trojans as he went 3-for-3 with a RBI.
- Mount Olive continued to swing the hot bat in game two as the Trojans scored again in the first. Trae Sweeting scored on a passed ball and Surum scored on a sacrifice fly by Mayo to give UMO a 2-0 lead going into the second.
- The Trojans exploded for five runs in the bottom of the second. Surum scored two on an RBI-single to left center. Mayo drove in a run and Justin Lee plated two more with an RBI-double that hit off the second baseman of Barton and Mount Olive had a 7-0 lead after two.
- Barton added single runs in the fourth and eight, but UMO answered with two runs of their own to secure the 9-2 win and series sweep of Barton.
KEY STATS GAME 2
- Mayo continued to lead UMO in game two as he went 1-for-3 and drove in three RBI.
- Brighton Hudson (2-0) picked up the win for Mount Olive as he went seven complete, allowing a single run, off five hits and struck out eight.
Mount Olive will remain at home as the Trojans will host Wingate University for two single-game mid-week contests. Game one of the series is scheduled for a 6 p.m. start on March 7 from Scarborough Field.