Bristol, Tenn. --- The 9th-ranked University of Mount Olive took the first two games of the series from King University in Conference Carolinas baseball on Friday afternoon in Bristol, Tenn.
Game 1: Mount Olive 9, King 3
Game 2: Mount Olive 4, King 1
Mount Olive (18-5, 8-0 CC)
King (9-11, 1-7 CC)
Location: King Baseball Field, Bristol, Tenn.
- Mount Olive fell behind early as King scored the game's first run on a RBI groundout in the bottom of the second.
- The Trojans answered to tie the game in the top of the fifth as Grant Tyndall scored Alvin Swoope with a RBI groundout.
- Following a scoreless bottom of the fifth, UMO drove in two runs on an RBI-double by Jason Smith and an RBI-single by Bradley Ragan and the Trojans took a 3-1 lead.
- The big inning came in the top of the ninth as Mount Olive struck for six runs. A lead-off single by Jose Lopez and walks to Ragan and Gunner Tolston set up the Trojans' shortstop Ricky Surum.
- Surum, with the bases loaded and one out, cleared the bases with one swing as the senior's grand slam gave UMO a 7-1 lead.
- Two batters later Drew Ellis belted a two-run home run over the right-field fence to give the Trojans an eight-run cushion.
- The Tornado tried to make a comeback in the bottom of the ninth and did score two runs, but Mount Olive stopped the threat and took away the 9-3 win.
KEY STATS GAME 1
- Brighton Hudson (3-0) took the win on the mound as he went six and a third surrendering a run off six hits, striking out three, and surrendering a pair of walks.
- Surum and Ellis led the team with four RBI and two RBI performances respectively.
- Mount Olive continued to swing the hot bat in game two but had to wait until the third before striking for three runs on a David Mayo home run to left.
- The Tornado responded in the bottom of the third scoring a run off a Trojan error to bring the UMO lead to 3-1.
- UMO pushed home one final run on a Zach Mozingo RBI-double that scored Ellis, who led off the inning with a double, and Mount Olive pushed back ahead by three.
- King managed to get a runner on base in the final at-bats for the Tornado in the seventh, but the Trojans defense stood strong ending the game on a double play to take game two 4-1.
KEY STATS GAME 2
- Austin Hutchison (6-0) picked up the win on the mound for the Trojans as he went six complete allowing a single unearned run off four hits, striking out nine, and allowing two free passes.
- Zach Vennaro (S1) came in to record his first save of the season as he allowed a single hit in his one inning of work.
- Mayo led the Trojans with three RBI.
Mount Olive will round out the three-game Conference Carolinas series with King tomorrow with a single nine-inning game. First pitch is set for 12 p.m.