Mount Olive, N.C. --- The 3rd-ranked University of Mount Olive took a 2-1 win over North Greenville University in Conference Carolinas baseball on Friday afternoon in Mount Olive, N.C.
Score: Mount Olive 2, North Greenville 1
Records: Mount Olive (26-5, 13-0 CC) North Greenville (22-9, 9-4 CC)
Location: Scarborough Field, Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- Mount Olive took the momentum early as Ricky Surum belted a solo home run in the bottom of the first to push UMO up 1-0.
- The game went into a pitcher's duel for the next six and a half innings as neither team had a base runner advance past second.
- The Trojans pushed across what would prove to be a crucial insurance run in the bottom of the eighth.
- Jose Lopez led off the inning with a double to right-center and moved to third two batters later on a David Mayo groundout.
- Tony Salvaggio brought Lopez home as he singled into right field and UMO moved ahead 2-0.
- North Greenville made it interesting in the top of the ninth, however. Connor Grant singled past the Trojan shortstop to give NGU a baserunner with one away.
- After a second strikeout, the Crusaders' Brandon Odachowski singled to right to put runners on the corners.
- A Mount Olive error allowed Grant to score as the Trojan lead shrunk to 2-1.
- Zach Mozingo came in to get the final out and did so after hitting the first batter he faced as the senior struck out the final NGU batter to pick up the win for Mount Olive.
- Bruce Zimmerman (6-0) got the win on the mound as he went eight and two-thirds allowing a single unearned run off five hits while striking out 11.
- Zach Mozingo (S8) came in to record his eighth save of the year striking out the final NGU batter.
- Surum and Salvaggio led the Trojans offense as they drove in the only two runs Mount Olive scored in the contest.
Mount Olive will wrap up the three-game series with North Greenville University with a doubleheader Saturday at Scarborough Field. First pitch for game one is set for 1 p.m.