Central, S.C. --- The fourth-ranked University of Mount Olive swept the series finale doubleheader from Southern Wesleyan University, 9-0, 10-4, on the road in Conference Carolinas baseball action on Saturday afternoon in Central, S.C.
Game 1: Mount Olive 9, Southern Wesleyan 0
Game 2: Mount Olive 10, Southern Wesleyan 4
Records: Mount Olive (33-7, 19-2 CC) Southern Wesleyan (10-29, 4-17 CC)
Location: Dr. C. Keith Connor Field, Central, S.C.
- The doubleheader began with some early fireworks as Zach Mozingo led off the ball game with a solo home run to put UMO on the board first.
- Mount Olive retired the Warriors in order in the bottom of the first and went one to push another home run across off a Jack Sherrill solo blast in the top of the second.
- Jason Smith scored Jose Lopez off a doubled down the left field line to give UMO a 3-0 lead. David Mayo continued the offensive attack with Mount Olive's third home run of the game and the Trojans led by four.
- Mount Olive went on to add five more runs including home runs by Ricky Surum and Justin Carroll on the Trojans' way to taking game one 9-0.
KEY STATS GAME 1
- Austin Hutchison (10-0) took the win on the mound as he went the distance shutting out the Warriors allowing four hits and struck out five.
- Surum and Mayo led the team with two RBI performances from each of the two UMO seniors.
- Mount Olive continued to swing a hot bat jumping out in front of the Warriors 2-0 in the first inning of game two with a sacrifice fly from Lopez and an RBI-groundout by Smith.
- Southern Wesleyan tied the game in the bottom of the second however on a solo home run and an RBI-single.
- The Trojans tacked on two runs in the fourth and a single run in the fifth to get back in front 5-2.
- The final blow came in the top of the sixth as the Trojans exploded for five runs on four hits, including Justin Carroll picking up his second home run of the day, and one SWU error to take a 10-3 lead.
- The Warriors pushed across a run in the eighth but could not manage another run as the Trojans held the score at 10-4 for the final in the series finale and sweep.
KEY STATS GAME 2
- Zach Vennaro (1-1) was credited with the win as he pitched two and third striking out two.
- Jason Smith led the team with three RBI.
Mount Olive will return to action Tuesday, April 11 as the Trojans host Catawba College in a single non-conference matchup at Scarborough Field. First pitch is set for 5 p.m.