Greensboro, N.C. --- The top-ranked University of Mount Olive escaped elimination defeating Pfeiffer University, 16-2, in the fourth elimination game of the Conference Carolinas baseball tournament Sunday afternoon in Greensboro, N.C. Mount Olive advances to the Conference Carolinas Championship against Belmont Abbey.
Score: Mount Olive 16, Pfeiffer 2
Records: Mount Olive (45-8) Pfeiffer (24-25
Location: UNCG Stadium, Greensboro, N.C.
How It Happened
- Mount Olive took the early lead on a two-run home run by Ricky Surum.
- Pfeiffer answered with two runs in the bottom of the first to tie the game at two.
- The Trojans unleashed their offense in the top of the second pushing home nine runs. In the outburst, Zach Mozingo, Jose Lopez, and David Mayo all hit home runs. Alvin Swoope and Trae Sweeting also picked up RBI in the inning as UMO took an 11-2 lead.
- UMO added three more runs in the fourth on RBI-doubles by Mozingo and Surum. Sweeting also scored on a throwing error.
- Pfeiffer walked in two Trojan runs in the top of the ninth and UMO held a 16-2 lead, a deficit the Falcons did not overcome.
- Braxton Shetley (5-3) picked up the win as he went eight complete allowing two runs off eight hits and struck out two.
- Zach Mozingo, Ricky Surum, and Jose Lopez all led the team with three RBI performances at the plate.
Mount Olive moves into the Championship game against Belmont Abbey. Game time is estimated to begin at 5:30. The Trojans will have to defeat Belmont Abbey twice in order to take home the 2017 Conference Carolinas Baseball Championship.