MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. --- No. 5 University of Mount Olive defeated the Chargers of Dominican (N.Y.) College 8-4 at Scarborough Field Tuesday afternoon in Mount Olive, N.C.
Mount Olive 8, Dominican 4
Records: Mount Olive (9-3, 0-0 CC) Dominican (0-5)
Location: Scarborough Field, Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- The Trojans attacked early in the bottom of the first as Trae Sweeting started the inning with a single to center. Nate Estes then one out later advanced Sweeting to third after he stole second and the Trojans had runners at the corners.
- Drew Ellis then drove in Sweeting and Estes for the first two runs of the game and UMO took a 2-0 lead.
- Dominican struck for one run in the top of the sixth off a solo home run from Joe Rotelli.
- UMO did not falter as Jose Lopez and Justin Lee both scored a run for Mount Olive in the bottom half to give the Trojans a 4-1 lead.
- The Trojans went on to tack on four more runs in the bottom of the seventh as Ellis drove in two to extend the lead to seven.
- The Chargers made a bit of a comeback in the top of the eighth pushing home three runs but the Trojans were able to put a stop to the bleeding and escaped with only the three runs scoring.
- Mount Olive allowed one runner to reach base in the top of the ninth but held off any late-inning heroics by Dominican and took the game 8-4.
- German Reyes (1-0) got the win on the mound as he allowed just three hits in his five innings of work and struck out four.
- Drew Ellis led the Trojans going 2-for-3 with four RBI and two runs scored.
Mount Olive will remain at Scarborough Field for game two against Dominican (N.Y.) tomorrow. First pitch is set for 2:30 p.m. on Wednesday.