MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. --- No. 19 University of Mount Olive defeated the Chargers of Dominican (N.Y.) College 11-10 at Scarborough Field Wednesday afternoon in Mount Olive, N.C.
Mount Olive 11, Dominican 10
Records: Mount Olive (10-3, 0-0 CC) Dominican (0-6)
Location: Scarborough Field, Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- The Trojans attacked early in the bottom of the first as Jon Cosme singled to begin the inning. Cosme then stole second and Nate Estes drove him in with an RBI-single through the right side for the game's first run of the game.
- Back-to-back RBI base hits by Drew Ellis and Justin Carroll put two more runs on the board and Mount Olive led 3-0.
- Gunner Tolston used a sacrifice fly to score Carroll for the final run of the inning and UMO took a four-run lead after the first frame.
- Dominican answered with a single run in the third and a trio of runs in the fourth to knot the game at four going into the fifth.
- After a scoreless top of the fifth, the Trojans went to work putting up five runs on a Matt Heard pinch-hit two RBI-single, a Jose Lopez groundout and a series of Charger errors as UMO regained the lead 9-4.
- The Chargers added a run in the top of the sixth, but it was countered by two runs by the Trojans in the bottom of the seventh.
- Mount Olive was put under some pressure in the top of the ninth as Dominican made a comeback plating four runs and had the tying run on base with two away, but Zach Vennaro came out of the bullpen to record the final out and pick up the save and secure the Trojan victory.
- Trey Pate (1-0) got the win on the mound in relief as he allowed two runs, one earned, off four hits in his three and a third innings of work and struck out two.
- Zach Vennaro (Sv: 3) recorded his third save of the season coming in for the final out and recording a strikeout.
- Nate Estes led the Trojans going 2-for-4 with two RBI and a run scored.
Mount Olive will hit the road and enter Conference Carolinas play this weekend as the Trojans will travel north up I-795 to take on archrival Barton College in a three-game series beginning Friday afternoon. First pitch is set for 2:30 p.m. in Wilson, N.C.