MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. --- No. 6 University of Mount Olive baseball took down the Ravens of Franklin Pierce University 9-7 on Tuesday evening in at Scarborough Field in Mount Olive, N.C.
Score: Mount Olive 9, Franklin Pierce 7
Records: Mount Olive (15-6-1) Franklin Pierce (7-6-1)
Location: Scarborough Field, Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- Mount Olive started the game in style as Ben Connor hit a towering shot over the batter's eye in straightaway center field for the game's first run and UMO took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the second.
- The Trojans went on to blast two more home runs with Drew Ellis and Justin Carroll getting solo home runs in the bottom of the third.
- Franklin Pierce came back with a big blow in the top of the fourth by pushing home five runs off two home runs and the Ravens took a 5-3 lead.
- Connor helped bring the Trojans closer as he lifted his second home run of the game to the same spot in straightaway center field and UMO trailed 5-4.
- UMO tied the game in the fifth on a Gunner Tolston RBI-single.
- The bat of Connor once again drove in another run in the bottom of the sixth to give Mount Olive the lead back once again 6-5. One more run came home on a wild pitch and the Trojans led by two.
- FPU was able to tack on a run in the top of the eighth and brought the deficit down to 7-6.
- Aaron Hedgepeth brought home two more Trojans in the bottom of the inning on an RBI-single through the right side and gave Mount Olive a 9-6 lead.
- The Ravens scored one final run in the ninth but UMO held on for the win.
- Zack Burke (1-0) got the win for Mount Olive in relief as he went two complete innings allowing one hit and striking out one in route to securing his first win of the season.
- Zach Vennaro (Sv:5) came in the eighth inning and closed out the game for the two-inning save allowing four hits and striking out three.
- Ben Connor led the Trojans with a 3-for-3 three-RBI performance from the plate including a walk.
The Trojans will remain at Scarborough Field to host Southern Wesleyan in a three-game series beginning Friday. The series will open up at 6 p.m. Friday from Mount Olive, N.C.