MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. --- No. 13 University of Mount Olive took a doubleheader from Southern Wesleyan University at Scarborough Field on Saturday afternoon in Mount Olive, N.C.
Game 1: Mount Olive 5, Southern Wesleyan 2
Game 2: Mount Olive 12, Southern Wesleyan 5
Records: Mount Olive (18-6-1, 7-2 CC) Southern Wesleyan (12-16, 1-11 CC)
Location: Scarborough Field, Mount Olive, N.C.
- Mount Olive took an early lead on a Justin Carroll RBI-single in the bottom of the first to start off game one.
- UMO added a pair of runs in the bottom of the second on RBI base hits from James Smibert and Jon Cosme and Mount Olive led 3-0.
- Southern Wesleyan answered with solo runs in the top of the third and fourth to draw closer as the Trojans led 3-2.
- Jose Lopez and Blake McLean countered SWU's runs with a pair of runs for Mount Olive over the fourth and fifth innings to re-extend the lead back to three, 5-2 and the Trojans held on for the win.
KEY STATS GAME 1
- German Reyes (3-0) got the win on the mound as he allowed two runs off three hits, and struck out seven over his four innings of work.
- Zach Vennaro (Sv: 6) came in to close out the game and picked up the save surrendering one hit and struck out two in his three innings.
- Blake McLean led the team going 2-for-3 with an RBI.
- Game two started with the Trojans responding to a two-spot put by the Warriors in the second with four runs in the bottom of the second. Blake McLean highlighted the inning with a two-run RBI-double down the left field line and UMO led 4-2.
- Mount Olive then went on to add three runs in the bottom of the third and extend their lead to 6-4.
- Southern Wesleyan tacked on a pair of runs in the top of the fifth but a three-run bottom of the seventh for UMO gave the Trojans an 11-5 lead.
- The Trojans added a single run in the bottom of the eighth and went on to shut down the Warriors in the ninth and took game two and the series sweep.
KEY STATS GAME 2
- Ethan Horne (2-0) picked up the win on the mound in game two in relief and he allowed two hits and struck out three in his inning and two-thirds worked.
- Drew Ellis led the Trojans in game two as he went 2-for-3 with two RBI.
Mount Olive will travel to Wingate, N.C. to take on Wingate University March 20. First pitch on Tuesday is scheduled to begin at 3 p.m.