MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. --- No. 13 University of Mount Olive fell in a doubleheader to No 18 Wingate University on Tuesday afternoon in Wingate, N.C.
Game 1: Wingate 9, Mount Olive 3
Game 2: Wingate 3, Mount Olive 1
Records: Mount Olive (18-8-1) Wingate (22-7)
Location: Ron Christopher Stadium, Wingate, N.C.
- Mount Olive fell behind from the beginning as a two-run home run in the bottom of the first gave the Bulldogs of Wingate an early 2-0 lead.
- Justin Carroll gave UMO a bit of a boost with a solo home run in the top of the second to draw back to within one.
- Wingate however answered with a single run in the bottom of the second, third, and fifth to extend their lead to 5-1.
- The Trojans fought back in the top of the sixth as Justin Lee's base hit into left allowed Carroll to score after a fielding error and Mount Olive trailed by three.
- James Smibert continued the inning as he scored Gunner Tolston on a sacrifice fly to give UMO a 5-3 deficit to work from heading into the bottom of the sixth.
- WU, however, exploded for four runs in the bottom of the sixth and put the game out of reach as Mount Olive fell in game one.
KEY STATS GAME 1
- Zack Burke (1-1) was pinned with the loss on the mound as he allowed four runs, three earned, off seven hits, and struck out one over his three and two-thirds innings of work.
- Justin Carroll led the team going 2-for-2 with an RBI and a walk.
- Game two started in similar fashion as game one as the Trojans saw Wingate jump out to a 1-0 lead after the first inning.
- Mount Olive trailing by two, was finally able to get on the boards via a home run by Drew Ellis in the fourth as UMO was down 2-1.
- The Bulldogs tacked on another run in the bottom of the fifth and despite UMO getting a baserunner on in the top of the seventh they were unable to complete a comeback and fell 3-1.
KEY STATS GAME 2
- Reed Parris (2-2) was pinned with the loss on the mound in game two as he allowed two runs, none earned, off five hits and struck out six in his three and two-thirds innings worked.
- Drew Ellis led the Trojans in game two as he went 1-for-3 with an RBI.
Mount Olive will travel to Franklin Springs, Ga. to take on Emmanuel College March 23-24 in a three-game Conference Carolinas series. First pitch on Friday is scheduled to begin at 3:30 p.m.