MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. --- No. 23 University of Mount Olive baseball shutout the Trojans of Virginia State University 14-0 on Tuesday evening in at Scarborough Field in Mount Olive, N.C.
Score: Mount Olive 14, Virginia State 0
Records: Mount Olive (22-8-1) Virginia State (13-6-1)
Location: Scarborough Field, Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- Mount Olive took the lead from the beginning as Gunner Tolston singled to left center scoring Drew Ellis, who singled with one out, to take a 1-0 lead after the first inning.
- Both teams remained silent for the next two innings before UMO exploded in the bottom of the fourth.
- James Smibert singled to right to kick-start the inning and Blake McLean followed suit with a single of his own to give the home Trojans two base runners. Following a flyout and a Nate Estes single that loaded the bases, Ellis unloaded the bases with a double to straight-away center and Mount Olive jumped ahead 4-0.
- Jose Lopez added another run for Mount Olive with a double down the right-field line as Ellis scored and the lead extended to five.
- UMO kept the bats of Virginia State quiet and added another five-run inning in the sixth highlighted by an Estes home run and a Smibert three-RBI triple as the Trojans took a 9-0 lead.
- Mount Olive again continued to pour on the runs adding three more runs to the scorebook over the next two innings as the Trojans defeat VSU 14-0.
- Reed Parris (3-2) got the win for Mount Olive as he allowed only two hits and struck out five in his five innings of work.
- James Smibert led the Trojans with a 3-for-3 four-RBI performance from the plate.
The Trojans will remain at Scarborough Field to host Erskine College in a three-game series beginning Friday. The series will open up at 6 p.m. Friday from Mount Olive, N.C.