MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. --- No. 27 University of Mount Olive baseball came back to take the series finale against No. 9 North Greenville on Saturday evening in Tigerville, S.C.
Score: Mount Olive 6, North Greenville 5
Records: Mount Olive (26-10-1, 14-4 CC) North Greenville (31-6, 15-3 CC)
Location: Ashmore Park, Tigerville, S.C.
How It Happened
- Mount Olive came out of the gates firing as Jose Lopez doubled down the right-field line to score the first run of the game as Trae Sweeting came around to score, after reaching on an error, and UMO took an early lead.
- Nate Estes followed with an RBI-double of his own and pushed the Trojans' lead out to two.
- The Crusaders answered with three runs in the bottom of the second to take a 3-2 lead.
- UMO found a response with two big home runs by Drew Ellis and James Smibert as the Trojans pushed out to a 5-3 advantage.
- Once again the Crusaders found a way to tie the game in the bottom of the fourth.
- It was not until the seventh that Mount Olive was able to make a push for the lead as Justin Carroll, with two away in the inning, deposited a pitch over the left centerfield fence and the Trojans went back ahead 6-5.
- Zach Vennaro (4-1) got the win for Mount Olive as he came into the game close out the game in the final three innings allowing two hits and striking out three.
- James Smibert led the Trojans with a 2-for-3 two-RBI performance from the plate with two runs scored as well as working out two walks.
The Trojans will return to Scarborough Field to take on Saint Augustine's in a single game Monday with first pitch scheduled to begin at 6 p.m.