MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. --- University of Mount Olive baseball completed the two-game sweep of the Hawks of Chowan University with a 22-0 outburst in a non-conference contest Wednesday afternoon at Scarborough Field in Mount Olive, N.C.
Score: Mount Olive 22, Chowan 0
Records: Mount Olive (31-11-1) Chowan (17-18-1)
Location: Scarborough Field, Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- Mount Olive came out with a vengeance in the bottom of the first as lead-off walks to Trae Sweeting and Jose Lopez proved costly as on a 1-2 pitch Drew Ellis unloaded on a ball to right center and the ball cleared the scoreboard to give UMO a 3-0 lead.
- The Trojans were not done however as Justin Carroll singled passed third with one away to continue the inning. Jon Cosme followed with a bunt single as he beat out the throw from the third baseman to put runners at first and second.
- After a successful double steal, Blake McLean singled into right to score yet another run for UMO.
- UMO continued the pound the baseball as RBI base hits by Justin Lee, Trae Sweeting drove in three more runs as Mount Olive jumped out to a 7-0 lead.
- McLean gave the Trojans their eighth run of the game when he blasted his first home run of his career to left in the bottom of the second.
- Runs were scored in bunches following the second inning, as UMO pushed home four runs in the third, nine in the fourth, and a single run in the fifth as Mount Olive exploded for 22 runs as Chowan had no answer for the home nine.
- Conrado Skepple (1-1) got the win for Mount Olive in relief of Trojan starter Matt Heard, who went four complete not allowing a run surrendering only five hits, as he did not allow a hit through two complete innings of work.
- Drew Ellis led the Trojans with a four-RBI performance from the plate.
The Trojans will return to action this weekend when Mount Olive will travel to Gaffney, S.C. for the final regular-season contest against the Saints of Limestone College. The three-game series is scheduled to begin Friday at 6 p.m.