SALISBURY, N.C. --- No. 23 University of Mount Olive Trojans fell to the Catawba College Indians 9-7 on Wednesday at Newman Park in Salisbury, N.C.
Catawba 9, Mount Olive 7
Records: Mount Olive (3-1) Catawba (4-1)
Location: Newman Park, Salisbury, N.C.
How It Happened
- Mount Olive opened the game by applying some pressure to Catawba as Nate Estes started the game with a lead-off single back up the middle and then stole second to put himself into scoring position.
- After a walk to Zack Smith and two Trojan outs, Justin Lee reached on a fielding error that allowed Estes to score and UMO led 1-0.
- Jett Swetland doubled to center to plate two more runs and Mount Olive extended their lead to 3-0 heading into the second.
- Catawba responded in the bottom of the second by plating four runs to take a 4-3 advantage.
- The Trojans did, however, come back in the next half inning as JT Stone lifted a pitch over the right centerfield wall and tied the game at four.
- A second timely hit by Swetland contributed to an RBI-double that gave the Trojans a 5-4 lead in the top of the sixth, but it was a lead the once again would not stand.
- A bases-loaded walk and a grand slam exploded the offense for the Indians in the seventh and Catawba took a 9-5 lead.
- It wasn't until the top of the ninth that Mount Olive was able to muster any more offense.
- Solo home runs by Estes and Joe Mason brought UMO to within two, but a strikeout ended the comeback attempt and the Trojans fell 9-7.
- Kyle Davis(0-1) was tagged with the loss in relief going two thirds of an inning allowing three runs off two hits and struck out one.
- Jett Swetland led the team with three RBI going 2-for-4 at the dish.
Mount Olive remains on the road as the Trojans will take on the Lenoir-Rhyne Bears Saturday in a three-game series in Hickory, N.C. First pitch on Saturday begins at 1 p.m.