MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. --- In the series opener the No. 10 University of Mount Olive Trojans swept the doubleheader with the Limestone College Saints at Scarborough Field in Mount Olive, N.C., Sunday night.
Game 1: Mount Olive 10, Limestone 1
Game 2: Mount Olive 12, Limestone 7
Records: Mount Olive (9-2) Limestone (3-9)
Location: Scarborough Field, Mount Olive, N.C.
- Mount Olive and Limestone did not see much scoring until the third inning when UMO exploded for almost all of their runs.
- Blake McLean drew a lead-off walk and Jon Cosme used a sacrifice bunt to moved McLean to scoring position.
- Nate Estes then doubled to center to put two runners into scoring position and JT Stone was hit by a pitch to load the bases.
- Joe Mason drew the second walk of the inning and walked in the first run of the game.
- Logan Welch then helped add a few more runs with an RBI-single up the middle that scored two as Estes and Stone came home.
- Zack Smith then grounded out and pushed home the fourth run of the inning also moving Welch to second.
- Following a Jett Swetland hit by pitch, Junior Snow doubled down the right field line to plate Welch and the Trojans led 5-0.
- One final knock added more runs for Mount Olive as McLean came back up as the Trojans batted around and the UMO shortstop drove in the final two runs of the inning with an RBI-single to left center to extend the lead to 7-0.
- After a scoreless fourth inning, Mount Olive added three runs on a McLean long shot over the left field wall and the cushion moved to 10-0.
- Limestone was able to strike for a run in the seventh but that was all the Trojans would surrender as Mount Olive continued to shutdown the Saints to close out game one.
- Mount Olive found themselves behind from the start as a solo home run gave the Saints the early 1-0 lead after the first inning.
- The Trojans tied the game up in the bottom of the third after Justin Lee led off the inning singled down the left field line and was moved into scoring position after a balk.
- McLean singled through the left side and tied the game up for Mount Olive.
- Limestone regained the lead after a bases-loaded walk in the top of the fourth 2-1.
- UMO took the game to a 2-2 tie after a Justin Lee RBI-double to left center that scored Chris Douglass who came into pinch run for Coy Barnett that doubled earlier in the inning.
- A solo home run and a two-RBI double accounted for Limestone jumping out to a 5-2 lead heading into the bottom of the fifth.
- Mount Olive had an explosive fifth inning, which proved to be the turning point, plating 10 runs.
- The big inning was started by a single by Cosme and followed up by a walk to Nate Estes that setup a Stone RBI-double.
- A pitching change did not stop the attack as Joe Mason doubled as well to score Stone and the inning continued.
- The wheels started to fall off for Limestone after out number two as walks to Gunner Tolston, Lee, Hunter Gore, McLean added two more runs to the Trojans tally.
- Four more runs came in off RBI-singles from Cosme and Estes and the final nail in the inning came from Stone's bases-clearing RBI-triple to right and UMO led 12-6.
- The Saints were able to tack on a run in the final frame, but the mountain was too tall to climb as Mount Olive took game two.
KEY STATS GAME 1
- Reed Parris (4-0) picked up the win in game one going six complete innings of shutout ball, surrendering just five hits and struck out nine.
- Blake McLean led the Trojans going 2-for-3 from the plate with five RBI, a home run, and two runs scored.
KEY STATS GAME 2
- Nick DeCarlo (1-0) was credited with the win in relief after his two and two-thirds of work allowing two runs off three hits and struck out four.
- Jon Cosme and JT Stone led the team with three RBI each on the afternoon.
Mount Olive will conclude the three-game series against the Saints tomorrow at 2 p.m. at Scarborough Field.