MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. --- No. 10 University of Mount Olive Trojans defeated the Limestone College Saints 8-3 in the series finale on Monday afternoon at Scarborough Field in Mount Olive, N.C. The win gave the Trojans the series sweep.
Mount Olive 8, Limestone 3
Records: Mount Olive (10-2) Limestone (3-10)
Location: Scarborough Field, Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- Mount Olive opened the series finale in the bottom of the first as Blake McLean singled to start the Trojan attack.
- Limestone was able to retire the next UMO batter but then the following four batters (Joe Mason, Logan Welch, Nate Estes, Jett Swetland) drew walks and it was Estes' walk that forced home the first run for Mount Olive.
- Swetland's walk pushed home the second run and the inning was far from over.
- After the Trojans forced the Saints to pull their starting pitcher, Zack Smith grounded out and plated the third and final run of the inning.
- UMO added two runs in the second inning, both on RBI-doubles, off the bats of McLean and Mason to extend the lead to 5-0.
- An RBI-single in the third and a solo home run in the sixth counted for Limestone's two runs as heading into the bottom of the sixth Mount Olive looked to get the runs they had surrendered back.
- The Trojan half of the sixth proved to be costly for the Saints as the two runs that Mount Olive added came home off a wild pitch and a passed ball.
- Limestone was able to add a run in the top of the eighth off a bases-loaded walk and decrease the deficit to 7-3.
- The home nine once again did not let LC get away with adding runs without a response, as the JT Stone singled down the right field line scoring Jon Cosme to push the lead back to five where it stayed for good.
- Caleb Irwin (2-0) picked up the win going seven complete allowing three runs, two earned, off four hits and struck out seven.
- Austin Kapela (SV: 1) came in for the save pitching the final two innings surrendering one hit while striking out three.
- Jett Swetland led the team with an RBI going 2-for-3 at the dish.
Mount Olive will hit the road as the Trojans will take on the Belmont Abbey Crusaders Friday in a three-game series in Belmont, N.C. First pitch on Friday begins at 4 p.m.