Game 1: Mount Olive 4, Belmont Abbey 1
Game 2: Mount Olive 15, Belmont Abbey 12
Records: Mount Olive (11-2) Belmont Abbey (8-10)
Location: Abbey Yard, Belmont, N.C.
- Belmont Abbey got the scoring going first with an RBI-single to right center scoring one and took the early lead.
- Mount Olive was unable to find an answer until the top of the fourth.
- A sacrifice fly by Zack Smith and an RBI-single by Logan Welch gave the Trojans enough support to take a 2-1 lead.
- Joe Mason added another insurance run for UMO with a sacrifice fly in the seventh and was followed with a Justin Lee RBI-single through the left side to give the Trojans a 4-1 lead.
- The Crusaders were retired in order in the bottom of the seventh and game one was over.
- Mount Olive did not want to fall behind in game two so in the nightcap, the Trojans looked to attack.
- In the second inning, Gunner Tolston drew a lead-off walk and following a fly out Hunter Gore elevated a pitch over the outfield wall for the game's first runs.
- Blake McLean singled after the home run and JT Stone followed with a single of his own before Joe Mason cleared the bases with a triple to take the UMO score to 4-0.
- Nate Estes added the final run with an RBI-single to right center.
- After BAC answered with two runs in the bottom of the second UMO came back with runs in the fourth.
- RBI base hits by Coy Barnett, Tolston, and McLean mixed in with a few Belmont Abbey errors amounted to a seven-run inning for the Trojans and a 12-2 lead.
- The Crusaders didn't go down without a fight as a nine-run inning in the bottom of the fifth brought BAC to within one.
- Nate Estes' RBI in the sixth and eighth helped seal the win for Mount Olive as they took a 15-12 lead into the bottom of the ninth.
- The Trojan pitching staff retired the side in order in the bottom of the ninth and took game two and the sweep.
KEY STATS GAME 1
- Reed Parris (5-0) picked up the win in game one going a complete game of four-hit ball, surrendering just five one run and struck out eight.
KEY STATS GAME 2
- Kyle Davis (2-1) picked up the win in relief as he went the final four and a third allowing two runs, one earned, off two hits and struck out seven.
- Nate Estes led the Trojans going 3-for-4 with three RBI, a walk, and a run scored.
Mount Olive will return to host Newberry College Tuesday, March 5 at 2 p.m. at Scarborough Field.