BRISTOL, TENN. --- In the series opener the No. 11 University of Mount Olive Trojans split the Conference Carolinas doubleheader with the King University Tornado falling in game one 6-3 before taking game two 9-5 in Bristol, Tenn., Saturday.
Game 1: King 6, Mount Olive 3
Game 2: Mount Olive 9, King 5
Records: Mount Olive (16-6, 7-3 CC) King (10-10, 5-4 CC)
Location: King Baseball Field, Bristol, Tenn.
- Mount Olive found themselves behind, but late as King was not able to put a run on the board until the fourth.
- A sacrifice fly scored the run for the Tornado in the fourth and a second run was added in the fifth on a passed ball.
- The only runs UMO could score were in the sixth set up by a lead-off walk to Gunner Tolston and Joe Mason getting hit by a pitch.
- JT Stone gave the Trojans a 3-2 lead with a three-run home run to right, but it was a lead that would not hold.
- King came back in the bottom of the seventh scoring the tying run on a UMO error and then took the lead with an RBI-double and a wild pitch that allowed a third run to score.
- Mount Olive had runners on in the eighth and ninth innings but could not find the tying runs and fell 6-3.
- Mount Olive started the second game with the bats on fire as in the top of the first Blake McLean led off with a walk and was followed with Stone getting hit by a pitch and Mason getting a single to right to load the bases.
- Nate Estes flew out to right but was far enough for McLean to tag up and score on the sacrifice and UMO took a 1-0 lead.
- Zack Smith followed with an RBI-single through the right side that allowed Stone to come home for the second run of the inning.
- After a strikeout, RBI base hits by Tolston and Logan Welch gave the Trojans a 4-0 lead heading into the bottom of the first.
- King responded with two runs in the bottom half cutting the Mount Olive lead in half.
- The Tornado tied the game in the fourth on an RBI-single and the two squads were knotted at four.
- Mount Olive pushed themselves back in front with an RBI-single by Junior Snow in the third and led 5-4.
- The Trojans went on to add a few more insurance runs with a solo home run by Mason in the fifth and a McLean sacrifice fly in the sixth.
- Matt Stokes and Aaron Hedgepeth collected some RBI in the seventh with a couple of bases-loaded walks to move Mount Olive ahead 9-4.
- King tried to make a comeback in the final frame as a solo home run drew the deficit to 9-5 and the Tornado did get a baserunner on following the long ball, but UMO was able to strike out the side and the game ended.
KEY STATS GAME 1
- Caleb Bishop (1-2) took the loss in game one going six complete innings, surrendering four runs, three earned, off six hits and struck out six.
- JT Stone led the Trojans going 2-for-5 from the plate with three RBI.
KEY STATS GAME 2
- Reed Parris (6-1) got the win in game two going seven complete, allowing five runs off nine hits and struck out 10.
- Joe Mason led the team with an RBI while going 3-for-4 on the afternoon.
Mount Olive will round out the series tomorrow in Bristol at 12 p.m.