MURFREESBORO, N.C. --- No. 17 University of Mount Olive Trojans fell to the Hawks of Chowan University 13-6 in the Conference Carolinas series opener Friday afternoon in Murfreesboro, N.C.
Chowan 13, Mount Olive 6
Records: Mount Olive (18-7, 8-4 CC) Chowan (10-11-1, 6-6 CC)
Location: Hawkins Field, Murfreesboro, N.C.
How It Happened
- Mount Olive started the game with a lead-off base hit by Nate Estes and following a strikeout, Estes stole second.
- A groundout halted Estes' ability to advance, but Gunner Tolston drove in the first run with an RBI-single through the right side and took a 1-0 lead.
- Chowan responded in the bottom half with a two-run home run and took the lead back from the Trojans.
- UMO found a way to answer the Hawks in the top of the second as Junior Snow started the inning with a walk and made his way to third on a one-out single to right center by Blake McLean.
- Jett Swetland scored the tying run with a sacrifice fly to center and Snow touched home plate.
- Jack Casbarro drew a walk to continue the inning with two away and it cost the Hawks as Estes belted a pitch over the right field wall to give UMO a 5-2 lead.
- Chowan responded with a pair of runs once again in the bottom of the inning and drew to within one.
- Tolston fought back to give UMO a boost with a solo home run in the top of the third to regain their two-run lead.
- Unfortunately seconds later Lanier hit his second home run of the day and tied the game at six.
- The Hawks hung a large number on the board in the seventh and the home nine held a 10-2.
- The wheels came off in the Chowan eighth as UMO walked in a bases-loaded walk twice and an RBI-single put the final nail in the coffin and the Trojans trailed 13-6.
- UMO tried to get things going in the ninth but it was to no avail.
- Trey Pate (0-1) was credited with the loss in relief.
- Nate Estes led the team with three RBI and two runs scored, going 2-for-5 at the dish.
Mount Olive will stay on the road to take on Chowan University in the final two-games 22-23.