MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. --- University of Mount Olive Trojans took down to the No. 8 Catawba College Indians 11-3 on Tuesday at Scarborough Field in Mount Olive, N.C.
Mount Olive 11, Catawba 3
Records: Mount Olive (20-8) Catawba (27-8)
Location: Scarborough Field, Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- Mount Olive found themselves behind early on as Catawba struck for the game's first run in the top of second on an RBI-single to take a 1-0 lead.
- The Trojans did not let the lead stand as in the second with a runner on and two away, Hunter Gore belted a pitch down the right field line for a two-run home run and put UMO in front 2-1.
- The home nine steadily built up their lead scoring single runs in the third and fourth innings on an RBI-single by JT Stone and a Catawba throwing error in the fourth.
- UMO continued to add to their lead with a pair of runs in the fifth and sixth on a two RBI-single by Zack Smith in the fifth and RBI-singles by Stone and Aaron Hedgepeth in the sixth, as Mount Olive led 8-1.
- Catawba stopped the Trojans' scoring outburst in the seventh when they were able to put two runs on the board off two RBI-singles and brought the deficit to 8-3.
- The bottom half of the seventh for Mount Olive answered the pair of runs pushed across by the Indians as Blake McLean's sacrifice fly and a Gunner Tolston home run put UMO back up by seven.
- Hedgepeth provided the final offense for Mount Olive in the eighth as his RBI-single up the middle brought in Jack Casbarro and UMO lead 11-3.
- The Indians were able to get two runners on in the top of the ninth, but UMO shut the door not allowing a score in the final frame and took the midweek contest from Catawba.
- Trey Pate (1-1) was credited with the win in relief going one complete allowing a single hit and struck out two.
- JT Stone, Aaron Hedgepeth, Zack Smith, and Hunter Gore were tied with the team lead in RBI with two, Stone and Hedgepeth had the best plate appearances on the day both going 3-for-4.
Mount Olive remains at Scarborough Field to take on Emmanuel College in a three-game series beginning Friday. First pitch on Friday begins at 6 p.m.