MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. --- University of Mount Olive Trojans fell in the series opener to the Lions of Emmanuel College Lions 2-1 on Friday night at Scarborough Field in Mount Olive, N.C.
Emmanuel 2, Mount Olive 1
Records: Mount Olive (20-9, 9-6) Emmanuel (18-15, 9-9)
Location: Scarborough Field, Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- A game that did not see a lot of offense saw the Emmanuel College Lions push home a run in the top of the third off an RBI-single to take a 1-0 lead.
- Mount Olive did fight back however in the bottom of the third as with one-away JT Stone belted a pitch over the right field wall to tie the game at one.
- The game then became stagnate as neither team could push home the go-ahead run for the next four innings.
- UMO's only real scoring opportunity came when the Trojans had the bases loaded in the fifth, when with two away Blake McLean doubled, Stone was intentionally walked and a Hedgepeth walked.
- The inning ended however and the score remained deadlocked.
- Emmanuel broke the tie in the eighth when a lead-off hit by pitch led to what would be the winning base hit two batters later on a bases-clearing triple down the right field line.
- The Lions held the lead and the Trojans off the scoreboard and took game one 2-1
- Reed Parris (6-2) took the loss going seven and a third allowing two runs, one earned, off six hits and struck out seven.
- JT Stone had the only RBI on the night for UMO as he went 1-for-3 from the dish with two walks.
Mount Olive remains at Scarborough Field to complete the three-game series with Emmanuel with a doubleheader tomorrow. First pitch on Saturday begins at 12 p.m.