MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. --- In the series finale, the University of Mount Olive Trojans swept the Conference Carolinas doubleheader with the Emmanuel College Lions taking game one 2-0 before completing the day by taking game two 8-0 at Scarborough Field, Saturday.
Game 1: Mount Olive 2, Emmanuel 0
Game 2: Mount Olive 8, Emmanuel 0
Records: Mount Olive (22-9, 11-6 CC) Emmanuel (18-17, 9-11 CC)
Location: Scarborough Field, Mount Olive, N.C.
- Mount Olive took the early lead in the bottom of the second as Jett Swetland reached to lead-off the inning on a dropped fly ball in center.
- He was then driven in by Nate Estes on an RBI-single through the right side and the Trojans took a 1-0 lead.
- UMO added another run in the third as three straight one-out base hits led to Aaron Hedgepeth driving in Blake McLean from second and the Trojans led by two after three.
- The teams remained deadlocked following the third and the Trojans pitching staff shut down the Lions to close out the first game of the doubleheader.
- Mount Olive put Emmanuel in a big hole early as the bottom of the first saw a lot of trouble for the Lions.
- All the UMO offense happened with two outs as JT Stone started the threat with a single to left center which was followed by a single by Jett Swetland and a hit by pitch to Aaron Hedgepeth to load the bases.
- Nate Estes plated the first two runs with an RBI-single into left as Swetland and Stone scored.
- A wild pitch moved Estes and Hedgepeth into scoring position and they both came home when Junior Snow found a hole down the right field line and the ball rolled into the corner to allow two more Trojan runs to score and UMO led 4-0 after one complete.
- The Trojans added a single run in the third when Estes drew a walk with one-away and was driven in two batters later when Snow grounded out but scored Estes and Mount Olive led by five.
- Mount Olive tacked on another run in the seventh on a bases-loaded groundout by Junior Snow to extend the lead to 6-0.
- UMO added two more insurance runs in the bottom of the eighth on a passed ball and a sacrifice fly to push their cushion to eight heading into the ninth.
- Emmanuel was kept off the boards in the ninth and Mount Olive swept the doubleheader and took game two by a final of 8-0.
KEY STATS GAME 1
- Caleb Irwin (5-0) got the win going four and two-thirds giving up four hits and struck out four.
- Aaron Hedgepeth and Nate Estes led the Trojans both going 1-for-3 with an RBI.
KEY STATS GAME 2
- Caleb Bishop (2-3) picked up the win in game two with a complete game shutout, allowing four hits and struck out six.
- Nate Estes led the Trojans in game two going 2-for-4 with two RBI, a walk, and two runs scored.
Mount Olive will head to Kinston, N.C. Monday, April 1 to take on the Single-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers the Down East Wood Ducks in an exhibition game at Historic Grainger Stadium. First pitch for the exhibition battle is set for 7 p.m.