NEWBERRY, S.C. --- University of Mount Olive Trojans took down to the No. 9 Newberry College Wolves 6-4 on Tuesday at the Smith Road Complex in Newberry, S.C.
Mount Olive 6, Newberry 4
Records: Mount Olive (23-9) Newberry (31-8)
Location: Smith Road Complex, Newberry, S.C.
How It Happened
- Mount Olive got rolling right out of the gates as Gunner Tolston led off the inning with a single up the middle.
- Tolston ended up reaching third on two wild pitches sandwiched between a strikeout and the Trojans had a runner in scoring position.
- It did not take long for the run to come home as with two away Nate Estes drove a pitch to left center and scored Tolston.
- Aaron Hedgepeth then drew a walk to move Estes into scoring position.
- Junior Snow plated the second run of the inning with an RBI-single to center and UMO took a 2-0 lead into the bottom of the first.
- The Trojans held the Wolves off the board in the first and did not manage to scratch across a run again until the fourth.
- Zack Smith doubled down the left field line to lead off the inning and ended up moving to third on a wild pitch one batter later.
- Jett Swetland pushed home Estes as he reached on a dropped fly ball to center and picked up the RBI and Mount Olive led 3-0.
- Newberry finally added a run in the bottom of the fourth on an RBI-double to right center and decreased the UMO lead to two.
- UMO continued to trickle in runs throughout the contest as Swetland's RBI-single through the left side in the fifth allowed Snow to score after he reached on a single.
- Estes led off the seventh with a walk and mad his way to second a batter later on a wild pitch.
- Snow drove him home with an RBI-triple to left center and the lead went to 5-1.
- The sixth UMO run was scored via another Newberry wild pitch and the advantage went to five.
- The Wolves drew closer in the bottom half of the seventh as they scored three runs off a UMO error and a two-RBI-single and made the Mount Olive cushion 6-4.
- Jake Isbell (2-0) was credited with the win in relief going two and two-thirds allowing a single hit and one unearned run with three strikeouts.
- Zack Burke (S:3) got the save going the final two and a third surrendering only two hits and closed out the game for the Trojans.
- Junior Snow led the team with two RBI, two runs scored, going 3-for-5 on the night.
- The defeat of Newberry marks the second defeat this season and could see the Wolves drop in the national poll as they moved up to No. 9 their highest ranking since 1977. It also snapped a 22-game home win streak for Newberry.
- The Trojans are 12-4 in non-conference games and 3-1 versus ranked opponents thus far this season.
Mount Olive remains on the road to take on Southern Wesleyan University in a three-game series beginning Friday. First pitch on Friday begins at 6 p.m.