MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. --- The University of Mount Olive Trojans swept the series-opening doubleheader from No. 1 North Greenville University Crusaders in Conference Carolinas baseball Friday afternoon. In between game seniors Jon Cosme, Nate Estes, Jackson Bellenkes, Zach Burke, Jett Swetland, Chris Douglass, Trey Pate, and Carson McCurdy were recognized as part of senior day at Scarborough Field.
Game 1: Mount Olive 7, North Greenville 4
Game 2: Mount Olive 2, North Greenville 1
Records: Mount Olive (26-11, 14-8 CC) North Greenville (31-9, 19-6 CC)
Location: Scarborough Field, Mount Olive, N.C.
- Mount Olive took the lead in the bottom of the second as the Trojans worked out a one-out walk from Zack Smith.
- James Smibert pushed Smith home and put the first run on the board with his RBI-double down the right field line.
- After a lineout, Gunner Tolston put UMO up 3-0 with a home run to right center and the momentum was in hand of the Trojans.
- North Greenville was able to tie the game in the top of the third on an RBI-single, a sacrifice fly as well as a sacrifice bunt.
- It wasn't until the fifth that UMO was able to break the tie. A lead-off error allowed a Mount Olive baserunner to eventually be driven in as JT Stone singled up the middle to put UMO up 4-3. Aaron Hedgepeth grounded out and gave the Trojans a two-run lead.
- The Crusaders were able to add a run in the sixth and were poised to tie the game but strong defense by the Trojans ended the inning and the lead stayed intact.
- The eighth inning proved to be deciding inning as one-out base hits by Hedgepeth and Nate Estes made way for a bases-clearing RBI-double from Smith and the UMO lead went to 7-4.
- NGU was able to get a lead-off base runner but the next three batters were retired in order and Mount Olive took game one.
- Game two did not see a lot of offense as Mount Olive was able to get its' first run in the bottom of the second.
- JT Stone led off the inning with a single through the left side. He was then moved into scoring position on a groundout from Estes.
- Hedgepeth then singled to second and put runners at the corners.
- Following a strikeout, an errant throw from the NGU pitcher got away from the catcher and allowed Stone to score from third for the game's first run.
- Unfortunately for Mount Olive, the wild pitch bug came back to bite them in the top of the fourth as the Crusaders were able to have a runner at third when a throw got away from Zack Smith and the game was tied.
- The Trojans had runners on base in the fifth and sixth but were unable to score the go-ahead run so it came down to the final frame.
- Smith drew a one-out walk to get the threat going.
- Blake McLean helped the cause by getting a single up the middle and Smith slide into third safely.
- Joe Mason came up to the plate and fouled off a pitch down the right field line in what would normally be a ball an outfielder would let fall, the NGU outfielder made a sliding catch.
- Smith smartly recognizing the difficulty of the ensuing throw from foul territory sprinted home and the throw was well tarty and the Trojans walked-off with the 2-1 win.
KEY STATS GAME 1
- Reed Parris (7-2) picked up the win going six and a third allowing four runs, two earned, off five hits and struck out four.
- Jake Isbell (S:1) closed out the game pitching the final inning and two thirds striking out one.
- Gunner Tolston led the Trojans going 2-for-4 with two RBI, on his home run, and two runs scored.
KEY STATS GAME 2
- Caleb Bishop (3-3) got the complete game victory, his second of the season, allowing just one run off six hits and struck out one.
- Joe Mason was the only Trojan with an RBI on the day as he went 1-for-3.
Mount Olive will wrap up the three-game series with North Greenville tomorrow with a single nine-inning contest from Scarborough Field. First pitch from the diamond is scheduled for 12 p.m.