MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. --- The No. 25 University of Mount Olive Trojans split the Conference Carolinas regular season series finale from the Erskine College Flying Fleet Saturday afternoon.
Game 1: Erskine 7, Mount Olive 4
Game 2: Mount Olive 8, Erskine 4
Records: Mount Olive (28-13, 15-10 CC) Erskine (27-20, 14-10 CC)
Location: Grier Field, Due West, S.C.
- Erskine took the early lead in game one as a two-run home run pushed the Flying Fleet ahead after one.
- Mount Olive was able to answer in the top of the second as Zack Smith collected an RBI-single up the middle.
- The third inning proved to be the turning point for UMO as the Trojans pushed home three runs on a bases-loaded walk, a Smith RBI-single, and a Nate Estes RBI sacrifice fly to give Mount Olive a 4-2 lead.
- Erskine was able to fight back in the bottom of the fourth as the Flying Fleet tied the game on a two-run home run and took the 5-4 lead on an RBI-single.
- Erskine added two more insurance runs in the bottom of the sixth with another two-run home run and expanded the lead to 7-4.
- Mount Olive was able to get two runners on in the top of the sixth but was unable to make a comeback and fell in game one.
- Erskine jumped out in front with a solo home run in the bottom of the first and was countered by a home run from Joe Mason in the second.
- A throwing error by the Flying Fleet extended the inning and gave UMO a 2-1 lead.
- The game was tied once again with a sacrifice fly in the bottom of the second.
- UMO added single runs in the fourth and fifth innings to extend their lead to 4-2.
- After a scoreless bottom of the fifth, UMO pushed home four runs on three RBI and a hit by a pitch and led the game 8-2.
- Erskine was able to tack on single runs in the sixth and eight, but that was all they would manage as the Trojans were able to close the door in game two and split series.
KEY STATS GAME 1
- Reed Parris (7-2) was pinned with the loss going four complete allowing five runs, two earned, off five hits and struck out four.
- Zack Smig led the Trojans going 2-for-4 with two RBI, on his home run, and two runs scored.
KEY STATS GAME 2
- Caleb Bishop (4-3) got the game victory allowing three runs off seven hits and struck out three.
- Joe Mason led Trojans in game two with two RBI on the day as he went 3-for-4.
Mount Olive has earned the #3 seed in the Conference Carolinas Championship that begins Wednesday. The Trojans will face the these same Fly Fleet as Erskine will be the No.4 seed. All games will be played in Tigerville, S.C. First pitch from the diamond is TBA.