TIGERVILLE, S.C. --- No. 3 seeded University of Mount Olive Trojans took down the No. 4 seed Erskine College Flying Fleet 11-5 in the first game of day two of the Conference Carolinas Baseball Championship Tournament Thursday morning. Mount Olive advances to play the winner of the Belmont Abbey/Barton game.
Mount Olive 11, Erskine 5
Records: Mount Olive (29-13) Erskine (27-22)
Location: Ashmore Park, Tigerville, S.C.
How It Happened
- Mount Olive took an early lead as with just one away in the bottom of the first Junior Snow hit a solo home run to give UMO the first lead of the game.
- JT Stone continued the threat by drawing a walk.
- Base hits by Joe Mason and Aaron Hedgepeth loaded the bases and Zack Smith plated the second run with a sacrifice fly.
- Nate Estes reached on on a fielding error and the error allowed the third Trojan run to score and Mount Olive led 3-0 after one complete.
- The one-out offense continued in the second as in the bottom of the second Gunner Tolston singled through the right side to keep the inning alive and Snow followed suit with a single of his own.
- Following a strikeout, Mason put the Trojans ahead 5-0 with a bases-clearing three-run shot over the centerfield wall and Mount Olive was rolling.
- The scoring cooled off for Mount Olive until the sixth inning when Tolston joined the home run club with a solo bomb to center and UMO led 7-0.
- Erskine found an answer and stopped the Trojans run with a solo home run in the top of the seventh and the lead was cut to six.
- The Flying Fleet added a single run on an RBI-single up the middle and decreased the Trojans lead to five.
- Mount Olive, however, responded with a Mason RBI-double that scored Snow and the lead went to 11-2.
- Erskine made a run in the ninth with three runs coming home in the top of the ninth, but Mount Olive closed the door and finished the game to advance to the winner's bracket of the Conference Carolinas Tournament.
- Reed Parris (8-3) got the win as he nearly went the distance going eight and a third allowing five runs, four earned, off nine hits and struck out five.
- Joe Mason led the team with four RBI, two runs scored, going 3-for-5 on the day.
Mount Olive advances to play the winner of the Belmont Abbey/Barton game on Friday, April 26 at 7 p.m.