MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. --- The University of Mount Olive Trojans fell to Francis Marion University Patriots 4-1 in non-conference baseball Friday afternoon at Scarborough Field.
Francis Marion 4, Mount Olive 1
Records: Mount Olive (31-16) Francis Marion (26-19)
Location: Scarborough Field, Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- Mount Olive had to wait until the second inning for the bats to produce a run as Nate Estes drew a lead-off walk.
- After a flyout, James Smibert doubled down the right field line and scored Estes to give the Trojans the 1-0 lead.
- The scoring cooled down for the middle part of the game, but Francis Marion was poised for a comeback in the latter part of the contest.
- In the seventh inning, the wheels fell off the wagon for Mount Olive as a lead-off walk saw the Patriots playing small ball using a sacrifice bunt to advance the runner into scoring position.
- An RBI-single tied the game at one, but FMU was not done scoring.
- A two-run home run put the Patriots ahead by two, 3-1 and the Trojans gave Francis Marion one final run on a busted double play attempt with an error that allowed a run to score the deficit went to three.
- The Trojans had a chance to plate two runs in the bottom of the eighth with only one-away but Francis Marion held UMO off the boards and Mount Olive went into the ninth down 4-1.
- After a one-two-three top of the ninth, the Trojans were set for their last chance to make a run, but once again the bats went cold and Mount Olive went down in order and fell to Francis Marion.
- Reed Parris (8-4) got the loss on the hill as he pitched six and a third allowing four runs, three earned, off five hits.
- James Smibert led the team with the only RBI as he went 2-for-3 from the plate.
Mount Olive will hit the road for the regular season finale against the Patriots in Florence, S.C on May 6 at 6 p.m.