TIGERVILLE, S.C. --- The University of Mount Olive Trojans fell to the Lincoln Memorial University Railsplitters 3-1 in the opening round of the NCAA DII Baseball Southeast Regional Thursday night in Tigerville, S.C.
Lincoln Memorial 3, Mount Olive 1
Records: Mount Olive (31-18) Lincoln Memorial (34-17)
Location: Ray & Bea Dillard Field, Tigerville, S.C.
How It Happened
- Mount Olive found themselves down early as a lead-off single came back to hurt as Lincoln Memorial capitalized on a passed ball and a Trojan error to score the first run of the game in the top of the first.
- The Trojans could not counter in the bottom half and the Railsplitters led 1-0 after one.
- LMU extended their lead with a lead-off home run in the third and took a two-run advantage.
- Mount Olive was finally able to answer in the bottom of the fourth as Nate Estes homered over the scoreboard in left field to draw the deficit 2-1.
- Another Trojan error allowed a base runner to score, this time in the top of the fifth and Lincoln Memorial regained their two-run lead 3-1.
- Unfortunately for Mount Olive, the Trojans would only manage one hit and one base runner for the remainder of the game and the offense went ice cold and UMO fell 3-1.
- Reed Parris (8-5) got the loss on the hill as he pitched six and a third allowing three runs, two earned, off six hits and struck out five.
- Nate Estes score the only RBI for the Trojans with his home run as he went 1-for-4 on the night.
Mount Olive will play the top-seed and tournament host North Greenville tomorrow May 17 at 4 p.m. to stave off elimination from Tigerville, S.C.