BLUEFIELD, W.VA. - The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team returned to their winning ways as they defeated the Big Blues of Bluefield State College 97-70 in non-conference action on Wednesday evening in Bluefield, West Virginia.
Score: Mount Olive 97, Bluefield State 70
Records: Mount Olive (16-8), Bluefield State (8-12)
Location: Bluefield, WVa.
How It Happened
- The teams took nearly two minutes to get a basket with the Trojans getting on the scoreboard first.
- UMO took a seven-point lead, 11-4, following a three-point jump shot made by Cameron Robinson at the 16-minute mark.
- Mount Olive held an eight-point average lead for the following four minutes before a 12-3 run by the Big Blue gave Bluefield State a one-point, 22-21 lead with 8:53 remaining in the half.
- Despite the run by BSC, Mount Olive did not allow the score to change hands as the Trojan lead expanded back to double figures following a jumper by Cameron Robinson with 3:44 giving UMO a 40-29 lead.
- The Trojans continued to build on their lead and Darius Spragley ended the half in style as he hit a three-point buzzer-beater to give UMO a 52-33 lead at the break.
- Mount Olive's lead grew to as high as 27 in the second half and never fell below 12 as the Trojans cruised to the 97-70 victory in Bluefield.
- Cameron Robinson led all scorers with 19 points.
- Don Pigford followed with a career-high night in points (16) and rebounds (9).
- Armond Griebe also chipped in 16 points finishing one point behind his career-high and tied his career-high in rebounds with eight in the game.
Mount Olive continues this road trip as they head to Belmont, N.C. for a Conference Carolinas match-up against Belmont Abbey College. The Trojans and Crusaders tip-off at 4 p.m. on Saturday afternoon, February 10.