MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team fell to the Lakers of Clayton State 76-68 on the first night of the 53rd Annual Mount Olive Pickle Classic in front of 1,563 fans at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C.
Score: Clayton State 76, Mount Olive 68
Records: Clayton State (2-1), Mount Olive (1-2)
Location: Kornegay Arena, Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- Mount Olive found themselves leading 8-0 just two minutes and 25 seconds into the first half before Clayton State got on the scoreboard on a pair free throws to put the score at 8-2 with 17:36 on the clock.
- CSU closed the gap to two points, 8-6, but an Alan Treakle three-pointer put the Trojans ahead by five points, 11-6.
- UMO's lead was cut as the Lakers of Clayton State knotted up the score at 15 all following a 9-4 run.
- Clayton State took the lead on a three-pointer with 11:36 on the clock to go up 20-17.
- The Lakers took a five-point lead over the next three minutes as the score sat at 24-19 with 8:42 on the clock.
- The Trojans climbed within three points of the Lakers on a Don Pigford layup, but CSU went on an 8-2 run to take a 32-23 lead at the five-minute media timeout.
- Over the next four minutes, the Lakers went on a 9-4 run that put them up 14 points, 41-27.
- UMO in the final 59 seconds of the first half scored seven points on a Jamaal Matin three-pointer, a Don Pigford dunk and a layup as the buzzer rang by Michael Brown to close the gap to seven points 41-34 at the halftime horn.
- Matin opened the second half with a key three-pointer that put UMO down by four points 41-37.
- Neither team scored for nearly four minutes as the baskets went cold for both teams until Clayton State connected on one of two free throws at the 15:25 mark.
- Mount Olive battled back from their 14-point deficit to tie the game at 49 all following a 12-7 run that spanned a four-minute window. Four consecutive free throws by the Trojans helped to knot the score.
- UMO reclaimed the lead following an Alan Treakle layup to go ahead 51-49 at 11:02 on the clock.
- Four ties and five lead changes occurred over the next six minutes as the two squads traded points and the lead back and forth.
- The Lakers took a three-point lead following a made layup and free throw conversion to go up 64-61 with 4:39 on the clock.
- The CSU play spurred a 15-7 rally by the Lakers to close out the game as Clayton State won 76-68 over Mount Olive in their home opener.
- Alan Treakle set a new career high in points with 18 on the night. He went 6-9 from the charity stripe.
- Jamaal Matin and Michael Brown each scored in double figures as both tallied 11 points in the game.
- Matin and Tanner Poole tied for the team lead in rebounds with seven each. Matin's all came on defense while Poole had two offensive and five defensive rebounds.
The Trojans return to action on Saturday with a regional showdown against the Braves of UNC Pembroke to wrap up the 53rd Annual Pickle Classic. First tip is set for 7 p.m.