TIGERVILLE, S.C. – The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team picked up their first win of the new year and broke their four-game losing streak with a 70-65 win over North Greenville University on the road in Tigerville, S.C., in Conference Carolinas men's basketball action.
Score: Mount Olive 70, North Greenville 65
Records: Mount Olive (5-9, 4-1), North Greenville (2-12, 0-6)
Location: Tigerville, S.C.
How It Happened
- Cameron Robinson got UMO on the scoreboard first with a jumper 17 seconds into the game.
- NGU answered with an 8-0 run over four minutes that put them ahead forcing UMO to call a timeout.
- A jump shot by Jamaal Matin at the 10:08 mark capped a 10-7 UMO run that closed the Crusaders lead to three points, 15-12.
- From that point on the teams stayed fairly even with NGU getting out to as much as eight points, 26-18, at the 3:33 mark.
- The teams closed out the opening half with an 8-5 rally led by the Trojans that put the score at 31-26 heading into halftime with NGU in the lead.
- UMO came out of the half scoring eight points, 34-33, in the first two minutes to take the lead from NGU, for the first time since the opening basket.
- A Matin jumper and a Robinson three-pointer gave UMO a six-point lead, 39-33, as the clock ticked down towards the 15-minute mark.
- Back-to-back three-pointers, one by Robinson and Jonathan Mebane, put the Trojans up 10-points, 45-35, with 12:29 left in the game.
- The Crusaders rallied to take a two-point lead, 49-47, following a 14-2 run that spanned three minutes.
- Mount Olive tied the scored at 49 all and then took a one-point lead following a trey by Matin that put the score at 52-51.
- The Trojans held off the Crusaders and opened up a seven-point lead, 62-55, that was capped with a Robinson three at the 4:24 mark.
- The final minutes of the game saw the Crusaders fouling to stop the clock and catch the Trojans, but the home team ran out of time as UMO won 70-65.
- Cameron Robinson led the scoring category for the Trojans as he collected 16 points on the night.
- Jamaal Matin added 14 while Jonathan Mebane tallied 11 to join in the double-digit scoring party.
Mount Olive is back in action on Thursday, January 10, for a Conference Carolinas contest against the Bobcats of Lees-McRae College. The Trojans and Bobcats tip off around 7:30 p.m. following conclusion the women's game that starts at 5:30 p.m. in Banner Elk, N.C.