MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – Mount Olive defeated the Big Blues of Bluefield State College in a midweek nonconference men's basketball contest at Kornegay Arena on the Piggly Wiggly sponsored "Blackout Night" in Mount Olive, N.C.
Score: Mount Olive 75, Bluefield State 62
Records: Mount Olive (10-13), Bluefield State (7-15)
Location: Kornegay Arena | Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- Cameron Robinson got things started with a three-pointer nearly a minute into the game before the Big Blues went on a 7-2 run to take a 7-5 lead.
- A Michael Brown jumper tied the score at seven all but BSC scored three points to go up 10-7, the Big Blues last lead of the game, with 13:43 to go in the opening half.
- Jamaal Matin converted on an and-one opportunity that knotted the score at 10 all and began a 17-0 run by the Trojans that put the home team ahead 24-10 at the 10:30 mark.
- Bluefield State reduced the Mount Olive lead to single digits, 30-21 with 5:40 to play before UMO went on a 14-6 run that closed the first half with the Trojans leading 44-27 at the horn.
- A Darius Spragley three-pointer four minutes into the second half gave UMO an 18-point lead, 53-35.
- The Big Blues closed the gap to ten points a few times before the Trojans went on an 8-2 run to open up a 16-point lead, 65-49, with 9:30 to play.
- UMO maintained their double-digit lead throughout the remainder of the half as the Trojans cruised to a 75-62 victory over a scrappy Bluefield State team.
- Jamaal Matin led the team with 21 points followed by Jonathan Mebane with 16 and Cameron Robinson with 14.
- Tanner Poole brought down seven rebounds with Don Pigford on his heels with six.
Mount Olive hits the road this weekend for a single Conference game at Emmanuel College on Franklin Springs, Ga. The Trojans and Lions will face off around 4 p.m. on Saturday, February 9, following the women's game at 2 p.m.