WILSON, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive men's basketball team fell in an historic triple-overtime game to the Bulldogs of Barton College 105-100 on Wednesday evening in Conference Carolinas men's basketball in Wilson, N.C.
Score: Barton 105, Mount Olive 100
Records: Mount Olive (11-14, 9-6), Barton (18-7, 11-4)
Location: Wilson Gymnasium | Wilson, N.C.
How It Happened
- Barton opened the contest scoring the first seven points of the game before the Trojans found Tanner Poole for a layup to get on the scoreboard at the 16:14 mark.
- Two minutes later the Bulldogs held a 13-5 lead but a 5-2 run by Mount Olive cut the Barton lead to five points, 15-10, following a Michael Brown layup at the 13:26 mark.
- BC took a ten point lead, 23-13, after the Bulldogs led an 8-3 run, and held it until nearly the 10-minute mark.
- In the remaining 10-minutes, Mount Olive led a 22-20 run that saw Barton sitting ahead 43-35 as the teams entered halftime.
- The Bulldogs held on to their 10-point lead through the early part of the second half until a dunk by Don Pigford near the 14-minute mark started a UMO rally that cut the BC lead.
- Mount Olive pulled within five points, 55-50, after Darius Spragley hit a three-pointer and jumper inside the arc to assist Pigford in a 7-0 Trojan run.
- Barton went back ahead by seven points, 66-59, following an 11-9 run, but Mount Olive countered with a 13-3 rally that gave the Trojans their first lead of the night, 72-69, with 5:14 remaining in regulation.
- UMO head at most a four-point lead, 75-71, before BC came back to take the lead 78-77 with 58 seconds remaining.
- Jamaal Matin gave UMO a two-point lead, 80-78, following a made three-pointer but the Bulldogs did not back down as a layup with 28 seconds left tied the game and forced overtime.
OVERTIME PERIODS 1 & 2
- Barton took the first basket of the first overtime period and after the score knotted up twice took an 86-84 lead with 2:13 left.
- Both teams had looks but either missed or made defensive stops but Jamaal Matin connected on a layup with 46 seconds left to force a second overtime, despite the Trojans having an opportunity to score as time winded down.
- Mount Olive took a four-point lead following a Darius Spragley jumper and a pair of made free throws by Alan Treakle that put the score at 90-86.
- The Bulldogs cut it to two before Spragley reopened the four-point cushion on a pair of free throws pushing the score to 92-88 with 88 seconds remaining in play.
- Barton went on a 7-1 run to hold a two-point, 95-93 lead with nine seconds left and the Trojans tied the game again on a layup by Poole to force a third overtime period.
OVERTIME PERIOD 3
- Barton scored the first three points to take a 98-95 lead and following a 4-2 run took a five-point lead, 102-97, with 2:12 remaining.
- UMO tried to battle back but time and a few misplayed options played to Barton's favor as the Bulldogs won 105-100.
- The triple overtime game is the first for the team on record. UMO has played four double-overtime games dating back to 2001 but no triple overtime games in the record books.
- Darius Spragley led the Trojans with 26 points while Jamaal Matin was just behind with 25.
- Michael Brown and Alan Treakle each tallied 15 points and Tanner Poole added 12 to join the double-digits club.
Mount Olive returns to Kornegay Arena for a single game this weekend against the Belmont Abbey Crusaders. The Trojans and Crusaders tip off at 7 p.m. following a long day of action on UMO's campus that includes baseball, softball, women's lacrosse, and men's volleyball.