No. 13 Men's Lacrosse Falls To Queens University 10-8

Photo by James Benson
Photo by James Benson

MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The 13th-ranked University of Mount Olive men's lacrosse team fell for the first time this season to the Royals of Queens University 10-8 in Charlotte, N.C.

Score: Queens 10, No. 13 Mount Olive 8
Records: Mount Olive (2-1), Queens (3-0)
Location: Dickson Field, Charlotte, N.C.

How It Happened


  • Mount Olive won the game's first faceoff and had a shot on within the first minute of play but it was blocked and the Trojans were held without a score.
  • Connor Watson did not allow the UMO to go long with a zero on the board as with 12:57 on the clock he found the back of the net to put Mount Olive up 1-0.
  • The Trojans added a second score off the stick of Blake Tallon at the 9:17 mark.
  • Queens was able to get on the board with just under seven minutes to play and decrease the Trojan lead to 2-1.
  • In the final six minutes of the opening quarter, Mount Olive outshot the Royals three-to-two but was unable to add another goal.


  • The second quarter was a see-saw as the two squads exchanged pairs of goals, with Mount Olive holding onto their slim 4-3 lead into the halftime break.


  • The third quarter the Royals started the scoring at the 8:59 mark and even the score at four before a Brody Sullivan goal was able to place the Trojans back on top with 6:46 left in the quarter.
  • QU went onto put in two unanswered goals and took their first lead of the game with 1:38 in the third.
  • Watson with seconds on the clock kept the score close as he found a hole in the Royals keeper and tied the game with 12 seconds before the start of the fourth.
  • Queens had the final say as the Royals won the faceoff and were able to make it all the way down the field and score with just a second left on the clock to once again regain the lead 7-6 heading into the final quarter of action.


  • Thatcher Clark got Mount Olive rolling in the fourth with his goal at the 12:29 mark tying the game at seven and UMO was on the verge of a comeback.
  • Almost 2:30 minutes later Gunner Parson found the go-ahead goal following a successful clear attempt by the Trojans and UMO was back ahead 8-7
  • The trend of the game as it was all day, however, saw the Royals come back again to take the lead following two unanswered goals a the 7:14 and 5:54 marks respectively and Queens led 9-8.
  • Mount Olive did not see another shot registered in the final quarter and with QU adding another goal with 33 seconds left in the game the victory for the Royals was sealed.


  • Clark, Tallon, and Watson were all tied for led in goals with two.
  • Between the posts, Andrew Avarello (L: 1-1) picked up his first loss, making 12 saves on 21 shots.

Mount Olive will return to action February, 27 when the Trojans will host the Hawks of Chowan University in the Trojans Conference Carolinas opener at the Ray McDonald Sr. Sports Complex in Mount Olive, N.C. The first face-off is set for 11 a.m.