No. 13 Men's Lacrosse Wins Overtime Thriller Against No. 15 Wingate 11-10

Photo by Bobby Williams
Photo by Bobby Williams

MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The 13th-ranked University of Mount Olive men's lacrosse team defeated the No. 15 Wingate University Bulldogs 11-10 in overtime in non-conference action Saturday afternoon at the Ray McDonald Sr. Sports Complex in Mount Olive, N.C.

Score: No. 13 Mount Olive 11, No. 15 Wingate 10
Records: Mount Olive (8-1), Wingate (6-3)
Location: Ray McDonald Sports Complex, Mount Olive, N.C

How It Happened


  • Mount Olive won the opening faceoff and proceeded to fire off three shots towards the Wingate keeper before the Bulldogs won the race to the back line and took over possession.
  • Following a successful clear, WU was able to beat the Trojans keeper for the first score of the game with 12:52 left in the quarter.
  • The Trojans were able to find the equalizer 3:32 later off the stick of Thatcher Clark and tied the game at one.
  • Wingate wasted no time answering as the Bulldogs found a goal at the 8:36 mark and regained the lead.
  • Not to be outdone Gunner Parson tied the game once more 3:33 later for an unassisted goal.
  • WU had the final burst of momentum scoring two goals as the quarter came to a close and took a 4-2 lead.


  • Mount Olive, down by two, saw its deficit increase to four with two unanswered goals by the Bulldogs and it wasn't until Tyler Keele's goal with 1:26 left in the quarter that UMO even got on the board.
  • Wingate scored once more with 52 seconds left on the clock and took a 7-3 lead into the break. 


  • UMO came back with a little bit of fire in the third scoring the first two goals of the quarter off the sticks of Caleb Hippensteel (14:46) and Blake Tallon (13:53). The goal for Hippensteel was the first for his career in a Trojan uniform.
  • Wingate responded by going on a three-goal run to increase their lead to five, the largest of the game, 10-5 with 8:15 left in the third.
  • Mount Olive was able to counter with a goal from senior defender Austin Peper, grabbing his first goal of the season, and a second score from Clark to bring the deficit down the 10-7 heading into the final quarter.


  • In the fourth, Mount Olive's Connor Watson scored with 11:02 remaining to put the Trojans down by two and put even more life in the home 10.
  • With 6:43 left in regulation Wingate made an attempt on goal and the Trojans' keeper Andrew Averello came up with a key save as Brady Elbin was in position to pick up the loose ball and take it coast-to-coast for the score and bring the score to 10-9.
  • Feeling the tie closely in hand, UMO won the ensuing faceoff as Hippensteel got Mount Olive rolling again.
  • After a shot by the Trojans went just wide, UMO retained possession and had another opportunity for the tying goal and Parson did just that as he came crashing in from the top and scored with 5:31 to knot the game at 10.
  • Defense became key as neither team scored for the remainder of the game and the horn sounded for overtime.


  • Mount Olive started with possession in overtime and killed off a penalty that carried over into OT and took a shot on goal 41 seconds into the frame but a save was recorded and Wingate went on the clear.
  • The two teams exchanged shots for the next couple of minutes before Wingate missed another scoring chance as Avarello came up with another key save and the Trojans went on their final clear.
  • Out of a Mount Olive timeout, Clark had a shot on goal but it sailed wide but once again UMO was in position to retain possession and remained on offense.
  • Clark received the feed from the top of the zone and drove to the right and shot top left of the goal and beat the keeper for the game-winner with 1:05 on the clock to give UMO the 11-10 win.


Mount Olive will return to action March, 30 when the Trojans will travel to Belmont, N.C. to take on the No. 8 Belmont Abbey College Crusaders. The first face-off is set for 1 p.m.