MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. - No. 41Mount Olive picked up a 5-2 win against the No. 47 Crusaders of Belmont Abbey College on Wednesday afternoon in Conference Carolinas men's tennis action at the John Neal Walker Tennis Center in Mount Olive, N.C.
INSIDE THE RESULTS
- Mount Olive got off to a hot start as they swept the doubles round winning all three matches.
- Victor Nunez and Jack Middleton picked up a 6-3 win at the No. 3 doubles flight to began the match.
- Armando Ferreira and Milosh Petrovic, the No. 20 doubles team nationally, defeated the No. 1 Belmont Abbey duo 6-2 to clinch the doubles point, while Martin Moser and Pablo Safont Ferrer downed the No. 2 duo 7-5.
- In the singles flights, UMO took four of six matches to finish the match overall with a 5-2 record.
- The even flights began the match with them finishing in an order of 6, 4, 2.
- Nunez dropped his bout in two sets with a tiebreaker in the second set falling 6-3, 7-6 (7-2).
- Middleton fell in the No. 4 flight dropping two of three sets 6-2, 5-7, 6-3 which gave Belmont Abbey a 2-1 lead for a slight period of time.
- The remainder of the matches were all UMO's as Moser, Petrovic, Ferreira, and Ferrer all won their matches to give UMO the 5-2 win.
- Moser won in three sets 3-6, 6-3, 6-4, in the No. 4 flight, while Petrovic won the No. 3 flight in two, 6-2, 6-3.
- Ferreira won the No. 1 match 6-1, 7-5, and senior Safont Ferrer closed out the match in the No. 5 flight with a three-set victory 6-3, 6-7 (6-8), 12-10.
- Belmont Abbey 12-13 | 6-3 CC; National ranking #47
- University of Mount Olive 10-6 | 7-1 CC; National ranking #41
- Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6,4,2,3,1,5)
Mount Olive is back in action tomorrow when they face the Warriors of Southern Wesleyan in a rescheduled conference match. The Warriors and Trojans meet at 2 p.m. at the John NealWalker Tennis Center.