SUMTER, S.C. - The No. 1 seeded Mount Olive Trojans fell 4-3 to the No. 2 Saints of Limestone College on Sunday afternoon in the Championship Match of the Conference Carolinas Men's Tennis Championship Tournament at the Palmetto Tennis Center in Sumter, S.C.
Location: Palmetto Tennis Center | Sumter, S.C.
INSIDE THE RESULTS
- The Trojans found themselves behind in the match score early after losing the doubles point.
- Armando Ferreira and Milosh Petrovic fell in the No. 1 flight 7-5 while Victor Nunez and Jack Middleton dropped their match 6-4 in the No. 3 flight.
- UMO came from behind to knot the match score at three points each. The Trojans won flights No. 2, 3, and six with the Saints taking flights No. 4 and 5.
- The championship came down to a battle of aces at the No. 1 flight with Ferreira taking the first set and Garnier, from Limestone, took set two. Ferreira, unfortunately, could not hold off Garnier who won the third set 7-5 and clinching the Championship title for the Saints.
- #38 Mount Olive: 13-7 | 9-1 CC
- Limestone: 13-7 | 8-1 CC
- Conference Carolinas Championship: #1 UMO vs #2 Limestone
2019 All-Tournament Team:
2019 Championship MVP
Federico Garnier, Limestone
2019 Conference Carolinas Men's Tennis Champion
"We are very proud of both teams this year," said head coach Kevin Coghill. "They all worked very hard and accomplished a lot of goals. We came up a little short with our main goal, but failure is always a possibility when you strive for excellence. We will learn from these losses and come back strong next year. We are grateful for our seniors and appreciate all they have done this year. Thanks to all who have helped us this year; especially assistant coach Chumbley, our trainers, strength coach, athletic administrators, and all of the UMO family!"
The Trojans season comes to a close with the loss to the Lions in the Conference Carolinas Championship match. UMO will return this fall for their individual tournament season and in the spring for the team schedule.