Wilson, N.C. --- In its final match of the regular season, the University of Mount Olive men's volleyball team fell in three sets to Barton, 16-25, 22-25, 13-25, on Tuesday night in Wilson, N.C.
Score: Barton 3, Mount Olive 0 (16-25, 22-25, 13-25)
Records: Mount Olive (16-9, 14-4 CC), Barton (20-5, 16-2 CC)
Location: Wilson Gymnasium, Wilson, N.C.
How It Happened
- The Trojans took an early 4-1 lead on a kill by junior Brett Rutledge.
- Barton responded with a 12-1 run to take control of the opening set, 13-5.
- UMO trimmed Barton's lead to five at 19-14 on a kill by sophomore Brad Monaghan, but Barton pulled away for the 25-16 first set win.
- The Bulldogs hit .292 in the set to UMO's .000.
- Once again, Mount Olive grabbed an early lead at 3-1 on a kill and service ace by junior Robert Poole.
- After Barton took the lead at 4-3, the Trojans reattained the lead and held an 11-10 advantage before Barton grabbed the lead at 12-11.
- Following a 14-13 lead for UMO, Barton used a three-point run that helped give the Bulldogs the lead for good as Barton earned the 25-22 set win.
- Barton forced a Trojan timeout after opening an 8-4 lead on UMO.
- The Trojans inched back within three points at 12-9 on a kill by junior Jeff Yasalonis.
- With UMO down just four at 16-12, Barton ended the match with a 9-1 run to capture the 25-13 third set win for the Bulldogs and the three-set sweep.
- Monaghan led the Trojans with nine kills in the match.
- The Trojans were outhit in the match by Barton, .338 to .045.
UMO earned the No. 3 seed in the 2017 Conference Carolinas Men's Volleyball Tournament and will take on the sixth-seeded Bobcats of Lees-McRae College on April 18 in Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C.