PHOENIX, ARIZ. --- The University of Mount Olive men's volleyball team fell in three sets to the No. 13 Lopes of Grand Canyon University on Friday evening at the Antelope Gymnasium in Phoenix, Arizona.
Score: No. 13 Grand Canyon 3, Mount Olive 0 (25-21, 25-22, 25-18)
Records: Mount Olive (11-7), Grand Canyon (14-6)
Location: Phoenix, Ariz.
How It Happened
- Grand Canyon got the game going as they quickly went up 9-4 over Mount Olive to start set one.
- UMO put together a 4-3 run to cut the GCU lead to three, 12-9, as the teams approached the midway point of the set.
- Mount Olive stayed within two-points of Grand Canyon trailing 18-16 following a pair of Lopes errors.
- GCU managed to hold off the rallying Trojans as they closed set one on a 7-5 run winning 25-21.
- The Trojans stuck with the Lopes through the early services of the second set trailing by two, 8-6.
- GCU went on a three-point run going up 11-6 before a 5-3 run by the Trojans cut the lead back to three, 14-11.
- The Lopes countered with a 6-3 run that put the score at 20-14 in favor of the host school.
- UMO came within two points of GCU, 24-22, following a pair of kills by Brad Monaghan and Bret Rutledge, but a service error gave the Lopes the 25-22 set two win, as Grand Canyon went ahead 2-0 in the match.
- The third set began with the Trojans taking the slim lead, 7-6, through the first serves.
- Following the 7-7 tie, UMO scored three points taking the 10-7 lead.
- Grand Canyon retaliated with a 4-0 run that gave them an 11-10 lead.
- The Trojans tied the score at 15 all, but the Lopes pulled ahead on a 10-3 run to close the third set winning 25-18 and the match 3-0.
- Brad Monaghan lead all players with 12 kills on 20 attacks for a .450 hitting percentage.
- Bret Rutledge was second in kills with eight on 20 attacks.
- The Trojans were just three kills shy of tying the Lopes 37 team kills.
Mount Olive is back in action tomorrow, March 10, as they take on the Spirit of Ottawa University in game one of the two-day GCU tournament. The Trojans and Spirit square off at 2 p.m. EST/12 p.m. MST. UMO will then hit the court for a rematch against the No. 13 Lopes of Grand Canyon University at 8 p.m. EST/6 p.m. MST.