GAFFNEY, S.C. --- Mount Olive defeated the Saints of Limestone College in four sets on Saturday afternoon in Conference Carolinas men's volleyball action at the Timken Center in Gaffney, S.C. Tobi Azeez led the Trojan attack with 16 kills while Jarrod Ferguson and Luke Visgitis each tallied nine apiece.
Score: Mount Olive, Limestone (19-25, 25-17, 28-26, 25-18)
Records: Mount Olive (3-5, 3-1), Limestone (2-5, 1-2)
Location: Timken Center | Gaffney, S.C.
How It Happened
- Limestone started the match hot scoring nine of the first 12 points to hold a 9-3 lead over Mount Olive.
- Following their own called timeout, the Trojans rallied to pull within a point, 13-12, after UMO led a 9-4 run that included four kills, three blocks, and two Saints errors.
- Limestone countered with a 7-1 spurt that put the Saints up by six, 20-14, following a second called UMO timeout.
- Mount Olive scored five more points but ran out of time as Limestone won the opening set 25-19.
- Both squads were neck-and-neck as the score sat tied at nine all through the opening services.
- UMO took a 17-11 lead following an 8-2 run that included four blocks, a kill by Jarrod Ferguson and three Limestone errors.
- The Saints closed the gap to four points, 20-16, but Mount Olive held off the host team scoring five straight on three kills, a Ferguson service ace and a double block by Luke Visgitis and Iyanu Adebisi, to win the second set 25-16.
- Limestone took an early 8-4 lead to open the third set.
- A pair of kills from the Visgitis brothers and two Saints errors got the Trojans back within two, trailing 10-8, but LC took a five-point lead, 13-8, following three consecutive kills that forced UMO to call a timeout.
- Mount Olive came out of the timeout to knot the score up at 20 all as the Trojans recorded seven kills, an ace from Tobi Azeez, an Eric Visgitis and Shane Yeo block, and two Saints errors during their 12-7 rally.
- The squads traded points and saw the score tie six times, last at 26 all, but UMO strung together three points on a pair of kills and a Saint error to win the third set 28-26.
- The fourth set also started out close as the teams found themselves tied at seven each through the opening serves.
- Mount Olive score six straight to take a 13-7 lead on three kills, a block, and two LC errors.
- Limestone led a 9-7 rally that saw the Saints pull within four points of the Trojans, 20-16, but Mount Olive was able to fend off the home team to score five of the last six points to win set four 25-18.
- Tobi Azeez led the Trojan attack with 16 kills.
- Jarrod Ferguson and Luke Visgitis each tallied nine kills apiece.
Mount Olive continues their road trip with a midweek contest in Hartsville, S.C., to take on Coker College. The Trojans and Cobras are scheduled for first serve at 7 p.m.