Mount Olive, N.C. --- The University of Mount Olive softball team earned a doubleheader split with Emmanuel College, 8-0 (Win, 6 innings) and 3-0, in Conference Carolinas action on Saturday afternoon in Mount Olive, N.C.
Game 1: Mount Olive 8, Emmanuel 0 (6 innings)
Game 2: Emmanuel 3, Mount Olive 0
Records: Mount Olive (16-24, 6-6 CC), Emmanuel (7-17, 3-7 CC)
Location: Nancy Chapman Cassell Field, Mount Olive, N.C.
- The Trojans scored first in the bottom of the first as junior Anna Ingram pushed home sophomore Charlene Thompson on a sacrifice fly to center field.
- Sophomore Callie Ferrell smashed her third home run of the weekend and two more Trojans scored on an error to push UMO's lead to 4-0 in the second.
- Mount Olive added another run in the third as freshman Alyssa Pickle came in to pinch hit in the third with the bases loaded and earned a RBI walk that scored fellow freshman Karen Foley.
- Junior Kayla Allen added to the Trojans' advantage to 6-0 with a RBI double to left that scored Thompson in the sixth.
- Foley ended the game with a two-run home run to left center field that gave the Trojans the 8-0 victory in six innings by way of the run rule.
KEY STATS GAME 1
- Junior Kylie Ward (4-4) continued her strong weekend, facing just one over the minimum, allowing just two hits while striking out four.
- Thompson led the Trojans with three hits in the victory.
- Emmanuel opened the scoring with single runs in the third and fourth innings to take a 2-0 lead over UMO.
- The Lions added an insurance run in the sixth on a RBI single to center field that increased Emmanuel's advantage to 3-0.
- Ferrell opened the seventh by getting hit by a pitch, but the Trojans could not push her across as Emmanuel earned the 3-0 win.
KEY STATS GAME 2
- Three Trojans recorded a hit in the loss with junior Kristin Power, freshman Kelsey Hayes, and Foley all recording a hit.
UMO travels south to take on Limestone and Converse on April 1 and 2, respectively, in a pair of Conference Carolinas doubleheaders in Gaffney and Spartanburg, S.C.