Burlington, N.C. --- The sixth-seeded University of Mount Olive softball team battled but fell to third-seeded North Greenville University, 3-2, in nine innings in the opening round of the 2017 Conference Carolinas Softball Tournament in Burlington, N.C.
Score: North Greenville 3, Mount Olive 2
Records: Mount Olive (25-28), North Greenville (32-17)
Location: Springwood Park, Burlington, N.C.
How It Happened: Play-by-Play
- The Trojans opened the game with a leadoff walk from sophomore Charlene Thompson, who then advanced to third, but was left stranded.
- North Greenville struck first in the bottom of the second on a single through the left side that scored one and gave the Crusaders a 1-0 lead.
- The Crusaders added an insurance run in the bottom of the fifth on a wild pitch as NGU took a 2-0 advantage.
- UMO had a pair of runners in scoring position with just one out in the top of the sixth, but the Trojans could not push home a run.
- In the Trojans' last chance in the top of the seventh, freshman Karen Foley came on to pinch hit and opened the inning with a single. Burge re-entered to run for Foley and advanced to second on a groundout by Kelsey Hayes.
- Thompson reached base on a dropped fly ball by the Crusader first baseman that pushed Burge over to third.
- With runners on the corners and UMO down to its final strike, Power ripped a single to the second baseman scoring Burge and bringing home Thompson on a throwing error by the second baseman to tie the contest at two.
- UMO loaded the bases with two outs in the top of the eighth, but the Trojans were unable to push the go-ahead run across.
- With just one out and the bases loaded, the winning run for North Greenville was walked home as the Crusaders earned the 3-2 win in extra innings.
- Power led the way for UMO at the plate, going three-for-five with a RBI.
- In the circle, freshman Emily Chaisson (L: 12-11) took the loss, coming on in relief after the Trojans tied the game in the seventh, pitching 2.1 innings, allowing three hits, one earned run, and walking four.
Mount Olive will take on the loser of today's Pfeiffer University and Lees-McRae College matchup today scheduled for 3 p.m. in Burlington, N.C.