BURLINGTON, N.C. - The No. 7 seeded University of Mount Olive softball team knocked off the No. 2 seeded Erskine College Flying Fleet in the opening round of the 2018 Conference Carolinas Softball Championship Tournament on Friday afternoon in Burlington, N.C.
GAME ONE INFORMATION
Score: Mount Olive 1, Erskine 0
Records: Mount Olive (23-26, 9-11), Erskine (27-16, 16-2)
Location: Burlington, N.C.
How It Happened
- The first four innings of the game were defensively well played as the Trojans kept the Flying Fleet off the bases most of the afternoon stranding just two players on bases through the opening four frames.
- The only run of the game came in the top of the fifth in favor of the Trojans. Kristin Power reached first base on a walk with Kayla Allen, the top of the batting order, waiting on deck to hit with two outs down. Allen, the senior from Benson, N.C., hit her 10th triple of the season, 15th of her career, to score Power putting Mount Olive up 1-0 with two and a half innings to play.
- Erskine had the opportunity to score in the bottom of the sixth as the Flying Fleet had bases loaded but failed to produce as the last two batters were tagged out leaving UMO still holding a precarious one-run lead.
- Mount Olive went three-up, three-down in the top of the seventh, while the Flying Fleet got one on base on a walk but could not hit her home as the Trojans went on to win the opening round 1-0.
- Allen hit the game-winning triple that scored the one run for the Trojan.
- Mallory Ratcliff (W: 12-9) pitched all seven innings giving up no runs on two hits and striking out five batters and walking four.
Mount Olive plays again tonight at 7 p.m. in the second round of the 2018 Conference Carolinas Softball Championships. The Trojans will face the Crusaders of North Greenville University in a double-elimination game to continue on in the 2018 championship.