Due West, S.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team earned a 92-73 road victory over Erskine on Tuesday evening in Due West, S.C.
Score: Mount Olive 92, Erskine 73
Records: Mount Olive (14-3, 11-1 CC), Erskine (7-9, 6-5 CC)
Location: Belk Arena, Due West, S.C.
How It Happened
- The Trojans and Flying Fleet traded baskets over the first 2:40 before UMO jumped ahead with the first two-possession lead at 12-8 just shy of the media timeout.
- Sitting on a 4-0 run coming out of the media timeout, Mount Olive increased its spurt to 15-2 as the Trojans grabbed a 23-10 lead with just two minutes left in the period.
- Erskine inched back within 10 in the final minutes to cut UMO's lead to 25-15 after the first quarter.
- Just 3:03 into the second period, senior Kiara Jones knocked down a jumper to give her a double-double in the first 13:03 of the game with 10 points and 11 rebounds as UMO increased its lead to 14 at 33-19.
- Mount Olive led by as many as 17 with 2:35 left in the half, but Erskine trimmed the Trojans' lead to 44-32 at the halftime break.
- Coming out of the half, the Fleet got within 15 at 54-39 with 7:05 left in the period.
- Quickly responding to Erskine's run, Mount Olive ran off six-straight points to return its lead back to 21 at 60-39.
- UMO's lead ballooned as large as 25 at 67-42 as the Trojans took a 73-52 advantage into the final quarter.
- Knocking down a three-pointer with 3:31 left in the contest, Erskine cut its deficit to 14 at 82-68, but Mount Olive responded with a 10-0 run in route to the Trojans' 92-73 victory.
- Leading the Trojans was junior Ni'Ya Styles who poured in 23 points in the victory.
- Daria Simmons (21), Felecity Havens (17), Kiara Jones (16), and Kennedi Jones (11) joined Styles with double figure performances.
- Kiara Jones added a career-high 21 rebounds, the second-most in program history, to go with her 16 points.
- The 13 points for Kennedi Jones' are a career-high for the freshman.
- UMO outshot Erskine, 43.2% to 35.9% and outrebounded the Fleet, 56-42.
Mount Olive will travel for a weekend doubleheader in South Carolina. The Trojans open the weekend with a 5:30 p.m. matchup on Friday with Southern Wesleyan before facing 23rd-ranked Limestone on Saturday at 5:30 p.m.