MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team defeated the Golden Bulls of Johnson C. Smith University on Saturday afternoon in non-conference women's basketball action at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C. The Trojans came from behind to win their first home contest of the season 61-54 with Felecity Havens leading all scorers with 24 points.
Score: Mount Olive 61, JCSU 54
Records: Mount Olive (2-2), JCSU (0-4)
Location: Kornegay Arena | Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- Azariah Fields got the Trojans on the scoreboard first with a made three-pointer 64 seconds into the opening quarter. She gave UMO a 6-0 lead after hitting a second three following a Kelly Post pass for the assist.
- Following a Johnson C. Smith called timeout, the Golden Bulls put their first basket in the net just as the clock ticked down to seven minutes left in the quarter.
- Mount Olive went on another 6-0 run to take a 12-2 lead at the 4:55 mark. Felecity Havens added two layups while Jada Bacchus connected on one.
- JCSU pulled closer to UMO over the remaining minutes to trail the Trojans by four points, 14-10, at the end of the first quarter.
- Back to back layups by the Golden Bulls knotted up the score at 14 all before Fields connected on a three-pointer to give UMO a 17-14 lead with 8:55 left in the second quarter.
- Johnson C. Smith made a three-pointer to tie the score once again, this time at 17 all.
- After one more tie, at 19 all, the Trojans took a four-point lead following a 4-1 run to sit ahead 24-20 at the 4:29 mark.
- The Golden Bulls chipped away at the Trojans lead and took a two-point lead, 28-26, into halftime following an 8-2 run that closed out the opening half.
- JCSU held on to a five-point lead through much of the third quarter.
- The Trojans came within one point, 37-36, of the Golden Rams following a made jump shot by Jada Bacchus at the 2:26 mark on the clock.
- Johnson C. Smith reclaimed a five-point lead but Mount Olive held strong and trailed by only three points, 43-40, heading into the final quarter following a layup by Kelly Post.
- Havens put up back-to-back layups to give UMO a 44-43 lead to open the fourth quarter.
- JCSU took a two-point lead following a three-point play that included a made layup and free throw combo that put the score at 46-44.
- After UMO tied the score at 46 all the Golden Bulls took their last lead of the game, 48-46, on a layup at the 7:03 mark.
- Over the next two minutes, the Trojans went on an 8-0 run that included a pair of three-pointers by Havens and two made free throws by Bacchus to lead 54-48 with 4:45 left in the game.
- JCSU came within two points, 54-52, of UMO but fell short of a comeback as the Trojans held them off to win the game 61-54.
Felecity Havens led all players with 24 points.
- Azariah Fields and Jada Bacchus both scored 12 points each to join Havens in double-digit figures.
The Trojans return to action on Tuesday, November 27, when they travel to Florence, S.C., to face the Patriots of Francis Marion University. First tip between the Trojans and Patriots is scheduled for 6 p.m.