WILSON, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's basketball team fell to the Bulldogs of Barton College 85-82 on Wednesday evening in Conference Carolinas women's basketball action in Wilson, N.C.
Score: Barton 85, Mount Olive 82
Records: Mount Olive (14-8, 10-6), Barton (20-4, 13-4)
Location: Wilson Gymnasium | Wilson, N.C.
How It Happened
- Barton started the game on a good note with a 9-2 opening scoring drive.
- The Trojans quickly found themselves trailing by 12 points, 18-6, as the clock ticked under three and a half to play in the opening quarter.
- A 6-2 UMO run pulled the score back within single digits, 20-12, but the teams closed out the quarter on a 5-5 run with the Bulldogs holding a 25-17 lead.
- Mount Olive used the opening three minutes to chip away at the score and cut the lead to five points in Barton's favor, 30-25.
- The Bulldogs reclaimed a nine-point lead, 36-25, following a 6-0 run, but the Trojans retaliated with a 9-0 run that put Barton up by just two points, 36-34, with 3:18 until the halftime horn.
- The final minutes of the opening half saw Barton lead a 7-5 spurt to enter halftime with a slim 43-39 lead.
- The Bulldogs came out of the break on an 8-2 run over the first three minutes to reopen a 10-point lead, 51-41.
- Mount Olive used the next five minutes to go on a 15-8 rally that cut the Barton lead to three, 59-56, with two minutes to play in the third.
- The teams were still only separated by three points, 63-60, as they entered the final ten minutes of action.
- A three-pointer by Felecity Havens knotted the score at 63 all.
- Barton took a four-point lead, 67-63, but a 9-3 Mount Olive run gave the Trojans their first lead of the game, 72-70, with 4:44 to play.
- The Trojans lead did not last long, however, as the Bulldogs bit back on an 8-2 run to go up 78-74 with two minutes to play.
- UMO scored seven points to climb within one point, 82-81, on a layup by Havens with 37 seconds left, however, the Trojans ran out of time as the Bulldogs knocked down three free throws to win 85-82.
- Felecity Havens led the team with 35 points. Havens need just 69 points to be the first Trojan in women's basketball history to reach 2,000 career points. She also needs 14 rebounds to tie for second (917) and 44 to tie first (947) in career rebounds.
- Jada Bacchus tallied 20 points and a team-high eight rebounds, while freshman Azariah Fields joined the two upperclassmen with 12 points of her own.
Mount Olive hits the road for a Saturday afternoon game in Spartanburg, S.C., against Converse College. The Trojans and Valkyries will meet for tipoff at 2 p.m.