Women's Lacrosse Rolls Past Urbana 13-6

Women's Lacrosse Rolls Past Urbana 13-6

Mount Olive freshman Maddy Biggar scored late in the first half to break a 3-3 deadlock and start a string of nine consecutive goals as the Trojans handed Urbana University a 13-6, non-conference women's lacrosse defeat Saturday afternoon at Amon Field.

Biggar was one of 10 different Trojans (4-4) to find the back of the net, lifting the squad back to the .500 mark.

The Blue Knights (0-3) struck first 1:30 into the contest on a free position shot by Emily Boerger, then again at 2-1 when Boerger struck again with 18:20 left.

The teams continued to trade goals until Biggar struck with 9:22 left in the period to give her team the lead for good. Over the final nine minutes, the Trojans' offense was relentless, scoring four times. Aiding in the Trojans' cause was draw control by Mount Olive. In each of the final four goals of the half, Mount Olive won the draw that followed.

Mount Olive also held a 24-16 advantage in ground balls and turned the ball over only six times in the first half.

The Trojans continued that momentum into the second period. Kara Lyon scored 3:22 into the half, then she assisted on a Michelle Scannell marker two minutes later. Lyon struck again on a free position goal with 20:50 left to stretch the lead to 10-3.

The lead reached 12-3 on goals by Allie Dunn and Alex Crawford 26 seconds apart.

During the Trojans' nine-goal run spanning more than 22 minutes, Urbana only took two shots at Mount Olive goalkeeper Sarah Snell. Urbana got within 12-5 before Candace Corkin scored with 5:46 remaining.

Mount Olive outshot the Blue Knights 31-15 by the end of the contest.

Lyon and Dunn finished with two goals apiece, while Biggar, Scannell, Alanna Bauche, Riann Daziel, Cockburn, Crawford, Corkin and Caitlin Gore scored one apiece. Lyon finished with four assists, Scannell added two and Bauche and Dunn, one apiece.

Scannell had three groundball recoveries to lead the team while Biggar, Tasia Cottone, Scannell and Biggar forced two turnovers apiece. Snell finished with four saves in goal.

Mount Olive returns to the field Thursday afternoon when Catawba comes to Amon Field for a 4 p.m. start.