No. 18 Women's Lacrosse Defeats Slippery Rock 16-9

No. 18 Women's Lacrosse Defeats Slippery Rock 16-9

No. 18 University of Mount Olive scored the first seven goals of the game and led wire-to-wire as the Trojans were victorious in their first-ever game as a nationally ranked team, defeating Slippery Rock University 16-9 in non-conference women's lacrosse Wednesday at Amon Field. Candace Corkin, Alysha Kulka and Claire Wigler scored three goals apiece for the Trojans.

Mount Olive (8-2) needed less than a minute to get on the scoreboard as Riann Daziel scored on a free position shot 57 seconds into the contest. Claire Wigler assisted on goals 80 seconds apart by Kali Cook-Grisewood and Saffron Snethen to give the Trojans a 3-0 lead with 25:32 left in the first half.

The Trojans capitalized on Slippery Rock fouls to score three straight free position shots, two by Corkin to give Mount Olive a six-goal lead with 4:30 left before halftime. Kulka added a goal 34 seconds later to extend the Trojans' lead to 7-0.

Slippery Rock (1-1), which entered the game among "Teams Also Considered" in this week's Nike/LaxMagazine Division II Top 20, got back in the game with three unanswered goals in a span of two minutes. Lydia Heishman scored the first two goals and Erin Wilcox added a goal with 1:24 remaining.

Mount Olive answered with 26 seconds left as Corkin drew the defense and left Katie McGovern open to give the Trojans an 8-3 halftime lead.

Wigler scored two goals 57 seconds apart in the first two minutes of the second half and Kulka added a goal with 25:13 remaining to give Mount Olive its biggest lead at 11-3. Slippery Rock got as close as 13-8 with 6:37 left in the game after a pair of free position goals by Kaytlin Callaghan. Mount Olive put the game away with late goals by Kulka, Corkin and Snethen.

Hannah Knight finished with 10 saves in goal for Mount Olive, while Jordan Wagner had six saves for Slippery Rock.

Mount Olive returns to action Friday as the Trojans play host to Catawba in a non-conference match-up. The contest was originally scheduled for February, but had to be postponed due to a winter storm. Game time is 4 p.m. at Amon Field.